Uefa and Homegrown players

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummindefender

Uefa have confirmed that from 2006 all clubs playing in Europe must have at least 4 homegrown players-these are players between 15 and 21 who are from the same country as the club and have either been brought through the clubs or another club in the same country youth academy.
Personally i think it is a good idea in the sense that it will allow more younger players a chance in the first team squad, however it may be a bad idea if you consider that by having 4 youth players it may stop any possible future signings of more experienced players.

I am sure that teams such as Arsenal will find some ways of exploiting the gaps in the rules and still get by with having 25 French in their squad.

Its the interpritation of the rule that will allow teams to get around the good intentions.

Is the ruling four home grown:

1)Players at the club
2)Players in the squad
3)Players on the pitch

I bet it is number one, all these commitees are full of good intentions but they dont have the balls to make it happen

lcfcrules said:
I am sure that teams such as Arsenal will find some ways of exploiting the gaps in the rules and still get by with having 25 French in their squad.

Wenger has already said that legal action could be a possibility, European right to work act etc

step said:
Its the interpritation of the rule that will allow teams to get around the good intentions.

Is the ruling four home grown:

1)Players at the club
2)Players in the squad
3)Players on the pitch

I bet it is number one, all these commitees are full of good intentions but they dont have the balls to make it happen

Rule will be that 4 players from the 25 man european squad must have spent 4 years at the club between the ages of 15-21. This will be extended to 6 then 8. There is also a proposed extension to the rules that says that some of them must have been born in the local area and some within the country the club belongs to.

From the BBC.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4234761.stm

Legal threat to Uefa's new ruling

Uefa sets foreign player limits
Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein says Uefa's new ruling on homegrown players could be challenged legally.
Uefa has told clubs they must have four homegrown players in their squad by 2006 to enter European competitions.

But Dein fears the quality of the Premiership will suffer under the new ruling and also believes it "restricts the free movement of workers".

He told BBC Radio Five Live: "It's misguided and it will almost certainly now be challenged."

At a January meeting, Dein said the Premier League had unanimously opposed the Uefa ruling.

"Few Premier League squads would meet Uefa's current proposals and we think the quality of our league would suffer," he said.

"We probably have the most successful league in the world and we tamper with it at our peril.

"Although it has been proposed for Uefa competitions, there is a danger it could eventually be introduced to to all levels.

"We don't think they can do that."

Arsenal are one of five clubs from last season's Champions League who would not have had enough homegrown players in their squad under the new ruling.

The others are Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax.

Poor poor Arse, just because things might not go their way they'll take it to court.
Arse and Chelsea aren't English clubs, they're just London based clubs.

---------------------------------------------------

I take it that England and Scotland are different nations in the eyes of Uefa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673