Valencia 1 Leicester 0 in Austria

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoShaunUK

I thought we played well anyway. Definately think Mills and St Ledger should be first choice CBs. Bamba is capable of some great close control and decent in the air but I don't think his reading of the game is that great for a defender and in general he is just too lax in posession. We didn't really create much again, until Dyer came on who was actually willing to run at players which resulted in some chances being created. One thing that was apparent was that we weren't giving options to the men in posession, rarely any off the ball movement in midfield and nobody seemed to be looking to get forward which would explain why we created so little. To be fair it could all be a result of 3 games in 6 days, the travelling and regular training in a short space of time but either way we will need to be more creative in the league. Defensively though I thought it was very good, Schmeichel, Mills, Konchesky in particular looked excellent I thought - particularly against a team with the quality of Valencia.

Schmeichel

Peltier Mills StLedger Konchesky

Wellens Danns King

Gallagher Vassell Dyer

...would probably be my starting lineup against Cov as things stand.

Micky

I thought we played well anyway. Definately think Mills and St Ledger should be first choice CBs. Bamba is capable of some great close control and decent in the air but I don't think his reading of the game is that great for a defender and in general he is just too lax in posession. We didn't really create much again, until Dyer came on who was actually willing to run at players which resulted in some chances being created. One thing that was apparent was that we weren't giving options to the men in posession, rarely any off the ball movement in midfield and nobody seemed to be looking to get forward which would explain why we created so little. To be fair it could all be a result of 3 games in 6 days, the travelling and regular training in a short space of time but either way we will need to be more creative in the league. Defensively though I thought it was very good, Schmeichel, Mills, Konchesky in particular looked excellent I thought - particularly against a team with the quality of Valencia.

Schmeichel

Peltier Mills StLedger Konchesky

Wellens Danns King

Gallagher Vassell Dyer

...would probably be my starting lineup against Cov as things stand.

I predict that Pantsil, Nugent, Bamba (think Sven likes him) plus one new signing (striker) will be in that starting line up.

TornadoShaunUK

I predict that Pantsil, Nugent, Bamba (think Sven likes him) plus one new signing (striker) will be in that starting line up.

And you're probably right. Obviously Pantsil hasn't played for us yet but from what I have seen of the others I think St Ledger is a better CB than Bamba. I'm not sure about Nugent, he hasn't had much game time for us either but just doesn't strike me as a center forward. Maybeit'd work with Nugent on the RW and Gallagher on the LW. Vassell probably our best CF at the minute which is why we drastically need another forward brought in.

Motown Fox

Dyer did himself well when he came on and he should get a regular place on the bench with the occasional first team place as well.
Moussa looked out of place I think Sven would have been better putting Yann on

The Deacon

Am I right in thinking neither Tunch nor Yann came on? If so does this suggest they are not going to part of Sven's squad going forward?

Bamba has been rather poor in the past two games against Bursaspor and now Valencia - he's lacking that final 10% of his game.

Schlupp did alright given the fact that he's hardly ever featured in the first squad.

Our back four looks VERY solid - all we need now is grinding out results in the Championship.
I don't think it's going to be a spectacular season with lots of goals, we will simply go out there to frustrate the opposition at 0-0 and look for the lucky punch.

I think Valencia were a very well organised side and stopped us playing up front - most Championship teams won't be anywhere near that standard and it's going to be very difficult to score against us. We may yet bag a few goals. And if we didn't - I'd still take winning every game 1-0!!!

atlantafox

We look much more solid at the back now and this is where it has to start - just need a striker that can get 15-20 goals this season - I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of 1-0 wins which is OK if it gets us promoted. Agree that Mills and St Ledger would be the choice at CB - how about trying Bamba in a holding midfield position like Patrick Vieira -have we ever tried him there as I think this could be a good position for him.

David Gwilliam

I only watched the last hour on a stream and would be interested in hearing from people who saw it live.

It was the first time I have used a stream to watch a match in real time and the first time I have heard a Stringer commentary. I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected it to be really dreadful but I did not find him at all irritating despite it being a radio commentary for a TV programme. It must be incredibly difficult to do a commentary on a fast moving event that you are watching live. In a crowded penalty area last year I frequently needed the announcer to tell me who had actually scored - especially if Yakubu and Bamba were both there. I wonder if knocking the local radio commentator happens with all clubs.
So I take a deep breath and wait for the howl of protest - well done Stringer you were better than I had been led to expect.

It is true that none of our Championship opponents is likely to be as good as Valencia but we can only judge Leicester from what we saw. Leicester were outplayed and Valencia might be irritated to have such a narrow scoreline. We defended well and I liked what I saw of Konchesky. We seemed unable to open the Valencia defence and our best hope seemed to come from freekicks. Stringer has been critiicised for describing Howards "miss" as a half chance but that was how I saw it. I thought Vassell did reasonably well considering how little help he got, Schlupp understandably looked out of his depth as did Waghorn when he came on.

So basically our midfield and strikers are nowhere near as good as a Champions League side. No real surprise.

Billyjof

Came in from a late night out. Put the stream on to watch a merry go round of Valencia's pretty passing being foiled by our gritty defence, who in turn released it to our midfield who did nothing in particular except lob the ball into the solar panel end.

Berner seemed a man of few words. I can only assume through my tired haze that he perhaps wasn't in total agreement with a lot of what Stringer was babbling?

I fell asleep after about 15 mins. I hope that's a helpful summary.

Last edited:

Swissfox

Came in from a late night out. Put the stream on to watch a merry go round of Valencia's pretty passing being foiled by our gritty defence, who in turn released it to our midfield who did nothing in particular except lob the ball into the solar panel end.

Berner seemed a man of few words. I can only assume through my tired haze that he perhaps wasn't in total agreement with a lot of what Stringer was babbling?

I fell asleep after about 15 mins. I hope that's a helpful summary.
I think Bruno's a rather quiet man and he's not that proficient in English that he gets every single one of Stringer's "jokes".

Swissfox

We look more solid to a degree, but this new line up really seems to show up Bamba's weaknesses.
Yep - seems to struggle quite a bit with the new competition at CB.

Mike - True Blue Tinter

It might be an option to have Bamba move forward to the Abe role. It certainly worked for Bruma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669