Virus whilst on the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lako42

Don't know if it anything to do with the forum or if it was just hiding in my system but a warning just popped up on AVG saying a virus (worm) called Koobface had just been detected.

I was reading a post from MK at the time so make of that what you will.

Don't know if it anything to do with the forum or if it was just hiding in my system but a warning just popped up on AVG saying a virus (worm) called Koobface had just been detected.

"W32/Koobface.worm spreads via Facebook and MySpace. Current variants only target either Facebook or MySpace specifically."

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_148955.htm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/02/koobface_worm_returns/

Posted in Anti-Virus, 2nd March 2009 17:20 GMT

A new strain of the Koobface worm is spreading across social networking sites including Facebook, MySpace and Bebo.

The malware posts invitations to the friends of infected users inviting them to view a video. The linked website tries to trick prospective marks into believing they need an updated version of Adobe Flash Player plugin to view the clip. The software offered is, of course, loaded with Windows-specific Trojan code. This malware establishes a back-door on compromised Windows machines.

A write-up of the assault, including screenshots, can be found on Trend Micro's website here.

The attack follows the appearance of two rogue applications - "Error Check System" and Facebook closing down - last week which used misleading messages in order to hoodwink users into activating software packages. Neither app spread malware as such but Error Check System has been linked to indirect attempts to attract surfers to sites punting rogue anti-malware (AKA scareware) packages.

Security watchers, such as Rik Ferguson at Trend Micro, responded to the twin threats by urging Facebook to vet applications. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg rejected the idea on Monday. "There will occasionally be some applications that people don't like," Zuckerberg told the BBC Newsbeat. "Our philosophy is that having an open system anyone can participate in is generally better."

Facebook spokesman Simon Axten went much further along this path arguing that vetting applications after two problems is like saying "there have been two robberies, we need to implement martial law in the city". More than 660,000 developers write for the platform and only a tiny, tiny percentage are doing anything potentially untoward, he told CNet, adding the site employs a team that investigates applications that behave suspiciously, he added

Last edited:

I was reading a post from MK at the time so make of that what you will.

Are you sure it didnt say Knobface ? :icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670