Wales manager Gary Speed confirmed dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think being outed as a gay manager would have its difficulties from fans here. Look at the stupid moronic chants that Sven and Dave Jones get. I think it would be even worse as an international manager where you'd have to travel to countries that are generally more homophobic and have well supported right wing political parties. If it were true, and this is still a big if because it's all rumours and conjecture at the minute, I think he would have felt that his dream job as an international manager of his country was ruined.

...and if he abandoned his family because of anything work related, many would consider that a selfish act. It's all speculation, but I don't think Realist deserved the abuse he got just because he's seen as an easy target, which clearly broke the forum rules. I've reported BM's post.

Last edited:
...and if he abandoned his family because of anything work related, many would consider that a selfish act. It's all speculation, but I don't think Realist deserved the abuse he got just because he's seen as an easy target, which clearly broke the forum rules. I've reported BM's post.
With the greatest of respect, Swede, it's absolutely **** all to do with anyone being seen as an 'easy target' (are there any easy targets on here?). It's everything to do with someone making a profoundly stupid, deliberately insensitive comment about something they know nothing about. Cheers for the report though dude :thumbs_up

If the rumours about a tabloid story brewing up about his sexuality are true, and I should point out that The S*n has denied them for what it's worth, then we are in a worrying place in our national game.

A man would rather kill himself than be outed. He thought his life in football would be so utterly intolerable as a gay manager that death seemed the better option. If that's true, our game needs to take a long, hard look at itself. Perhaps even a more warts and all look at itself than it had to take 25-30 years ago when monkey chanting and lobbing bananas at black players was considered to be banter.

I sincerely hope this isn't the case for everyone concerned.

A man would rather kill himself than be outed. He thought his life in football would be so utterly intolerable as a gay manager that death seemed the better option. If that's true, our game needs to take a long, hard look at itself.

Oh the problems go deeper than just the game of football. Society itself can be quite unpleasant.

With the greatest of respect, Swede, it's absolutely **** all to do with anyone being seen as an 'easy target' (are there any easy targets on here?). It's everything to do with someone making a profoundly stupid, deliberately insensitive comment about something they know nothing about. Cheers for the report though dude :thumbs_up

It's how bullies work Swede, there's safety in numbers and they gain courage from it, thankfully I've never let bullies intimidate or bother me no matter how many are in their silly gang.

Ironic really, they moan about my comments and wonder what could have led to Gary Speed committing suicide, yet think nothing of name calling and bullying when somebody happens to not toe their party line. This irony will be totally lost on them and denied in yet another name calling rant no doubt.

This may be a bit left of centre here but before you condemn, think about what I'm saying.

Have you ever thought the reason some people who are gay don't admit it is because of the outrageous gay nancy types such as Louis Spence, Alan Carr & Graham Norton? Their over the top flamboyance gives perhaps a distorted view of how gay people really are, and as a consequence it makes it harder for gay footballers/sports stars to come out? A friend of mine has been openly gay for over 20 years, and he is positively embarrassed at the antics of those I have mentioned.

This is incredibly homophobic. The fact that you describe gay people as 'nancy boys' (I suppose you call black people 'darkies' too) is outrageous and your views are clearly quite outdated. Why should gay people conform to how you think they should act? How should gay people act? How should straight people act? It's not like the people you've mentioned are offensive in any way, they're just a bit camp and over the top - what exactly is wrong with that? And what does it have to do with their sexuality?

Also, in another post you state that "if there has been some naughtiness, it will come out. Are the media to blame for reporting it, or the footballers/celebs involved to blame for doing it?"

Are they to blame for their sexuality? You are aware that homosexuality is no longer illegal, right? You talk like they've committed some heinous crime! And if you're getting on your high horse about extra-martial affairs, well that happens every day, in every town, in every country all over the world. It's no-one else's business.

In my opinion, homosexuality is completely accepted in our society now, apart from the knuckle dragging minority, a lot of whom are football fans (some in our own set of supporters, as referenced by the homophobic chants aimed at Brighton fans this season). Gay sportsmen and women need to have the bottle to realise that this is a minority and the only way this prejudice can be beaten is by confronting it - unfortunately players who have suffered racist abuse can't hide who they are, but in facing up to the problem it has now been more or less eradicated from our game, apart from isolated incidents.

Last edited:

All in your opinion of course. No need for the personal abuse. A simple "you've got it all wrong mate" would have done, and maybe then we'd all have a proper discussion about it rather than trying to avoid a foul-mouthed backlash. You're not the only one who does it.

It's always the same on here as soon as a controversial subject is brought up.

It's how bullies work Swede, there's safety in numbers and they gain courage from it, thankfully I've never let bullies intimidate or bother me no matter how many are in their silly gang.

Ironic really, they moan about my comments and wonder what could have led to Gary Speed committing suicide, yet think nothing of name calling and bullying when somebody happens to not toe their party line. This irony will be totally lost on them and denied in yet another name calling rant no doubt.

I hope you are not including me in that, I haven't called you anything, just offered a counter argument to your opinion

In my opinion, homosexuality is completely accepted in our society now, apart from the knuckle dragging minority, a lot of whom are football fans (some in our own set of supporters, as referenced by the homophobic chants aimed at Brighton fans this season). Gay sportsmen and women need to have the bottle to realise that this is a minority and the only way this prejudice can be beaten is by confronting it - unfortunately players who have suffered racist abuse can't hide who they are, but in facing up to the problem it has now been more or less eradicated from our game, apart from isolated incidents.

From personal experience, I don't think it is completely accepted.

I can't walk down the High Street in Leicester hand in hand with my partner without fear of being verbally, or at worst, physically attacked. I couldn't go into, say, Lloyd's in market, and be affectionate as, again, I'd be fearful for what might happen. These places may be inhabited by what you call the "knuckle dragging minority" but they're not as small a number as you probably think.

Having said that, I've never really been the victim of any kind of verbal or physical abuse because of my sexuality, but I think it's more of when it'll happen rather than if.

untitled.JPG

:icon_roll I think you need to grow up mate. There's no bullying here. You said something only a complete cock end would even think of saying. All I did was point it out.
All in your opinion of course. No need for the personal abuse. A simple "you've got it all wrong mate" would have done, and maybe then we'd all have a proper discussion about it rather than trying to avoid a foul-mouthed backlash. You're not the only one who does it.

It's always the same on here as soon as a controversial subject is brought up.
As a normally sensible poster I'm surprised you'd defend such stupidity.
Han, you should know by now BM's opinion is the only one that matters on here. Well, him and his sycophants.
It was ages ago. You were wrong. Let it go. Who do you think my sycophants are?

This is incredibly homophobic. The fact that you describe gay people as 'nancy boys' (I suppose you call black people 'darkies' too) is outrageous and your views are clearly quite outdated. Why should gay people conform to how you think they should act? How should gay people act? How should straight people act? It's not like the people you've mentioned are offensive in any way, they're just a bit camp and over the top - what exactly is wrong with that? And what does it have to do with their sexuality?

Also, in another post you state that "if there has been some naughtiness, it will come out. Are the media to blame for reporting it, or the footballers/celebs involved to blame for doing it?"

Are they to blame for their sexuality? You are aware that homosexuality is no longer illegal, right? You talk like they've committed some heinous crime! And if you're getting on your high horse about extra-martial affairs, well that happens every day, in every town, in every country all over the world. It's no-one else's business.

If you read it again I was trying to find a reason as to why a person who is in the public eye would perhaps not want to reveal they were gay, rather than having a pop about them being gay. I will accept using the word "nancy" probably wasn't the best way of getting the point across and so I apologise for the use of that term.

As a normally sensible poster I'm surprised you'd defend such stupidity.
I wasn't trying to defend his opinion, just the fact that he's allowed one. FWIW I can understand where some of his points are coming from but the delivery is not quite getting to the point and is making his sound like an idiot.
This "gay sting" rumour may have legs.

None of the red tops questioned why he might have killed himself, it seemed very obvious that it was avoided.

And before anybody starts...YES this could have been done for respect ...blah blah blah - but remember this is the redtops we are talking about here!
If it wasn't for the NOTW/Leveson stuff going on I expect something would've come out by now (no pun intended) if there really is any truth in it. I think the papers are understandably cautious at the moment.

Last edited:
From personal experience, I don't think it is completely accepted.

I can't walk down the High Street in Leicester hand in hand with my partner without fear of being verbally, or at worst, physically attacked. I couldn't go into, say, Lloyd's in market, and be affectionate as, again, I'd be fearful for what might happen. These places may be inhabited by what you call the "knuckle dragging minority" but they're not as small a number as you probably think.

Having said that, I've never really been the victim of any kind of verbal or physical abuse because of my sexuality, but I think it's more of when it'll happen rather than if.

I don't think you'd run into any trouble in the street, I genuinely don't think anyone would bat an eyelid IMO. Fair enough about Lloyds though - I wouldn't go in there if I was gay, but then I wouldn't go in there anyway, mostly because it's an absolute shithole filled with the dregs of society.

I do think it's a small minority that would be prepared to verbally or physically abuse someone over their sexuality though, although I accept that there is probably a larger number of people who don't agree with homosexuality but can hold their tongues. You're always going to have a minority who will abuse people on the basis of their sexuality, the colour of their skin, their disability - whatever it is that makes them different, but in general I think society has come a long way in a relatively short space of time in accepting people who are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669