Post Match Watford 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they've been told not to, because they need to be able to play more matches this season.

Last season they gave everything every game. Some of the players were totally knackered by the end of the match. They've had a lot more games to play so far this season, so it's obvious they won't be able to put the same amount into every game. It's about getting the balance right, which hasn't happened this season.

That's a completely different answer to the statement that I questioned.

Who do you think is telling them to not put the effort in?

I think your second statement has merit but the players need to put the effort in in order to win and then be rested. We DO have a bigger squad and we can increase it in January.

I think Ranieri has tried to change the style of play so the players don't need to put the same effort in. But it's not working.

Okay. I think he stills wants the all out press but it's just an opinion.

I don't think it's that complicated. The team of 15/16 know they produced a miracle; know that they can't repeat it; have great lifestyles outside of actually playing. The outcome is the level of motivation and results you would expect from that scenario.

CR will do very well indeed to turn this lot round......or may have to think about starting again. But it would cost because these guys have been slightly over-rewarded.

That's a completely different answer to the statement that I questioned.

Who do you think is telling them to not put the effort in?

I think your second statement has merit but the players need to put the effort in in order to win and then be rested. We DO have a bigger squad and we can increase it in January.

FIF

There is no doubt we are playing deeper and our wingers are sitting deeper and playing more defensive than last season and to make a comment that King is just as good at passing is total Bollocks! the fact he is as fast as an asthmatic grannie it makes counter attacking football useless with him in the midfield. Cante was the one who drove us forward last season it also provided space for DD to spread the ball.

Teams have realised that they can over run our midfield because DD partner is simply championship standard and Armartey is not a CM

FIF

There is no doubt we are playing deeper and our wingers are sitting deeper and playing more defensive than last season and to make a comment that King is just as good at passing is total Bollocks! the fact he is as fast as an asthmatic grannie it makes counter attacking football useless with him in the midfield. Cante was the one who drove us forward last season it also provided space for DD to spread the ball.

Teams have realised that they can over run our midfield because DD partner is simply championship standard and Armartey is not a CM

Bigmac,

I didn't say that King was as good at passing. You're confusing me with someone else.

I do however think you are just jumping at an easy (and false) excuse where you've taken 1 from 2 and got 7. Kanté leaving isn't the reason. He didn't do a Space Jam with Vardy's skill and most of the rest of the team's mental effort.

FIF

Although you claim that there is no doubt about us playing deeper, I don't think that it's accurate. We're actually deliberately trying to play a higher line than we did last season. It's been pretty obvious to me in our games to date - anyone else?

There is a clear desire to push our team further up the pitch, get Drinkwater on the ball more and try to work our way through teams more. It's almost like we're embarrassed about how we bypassed 'normal' ways of playing football last season and are trying to be more like the rest. For me, it was the very fact that we ignored the traditional 'rules' that set us apart and it's a bit bizarre that we've abandoned what worked.

People say that the opposition have sussed us out and are playing differently against us. I don't buy this either. Were it the case, they'd have done similar in the second half of last season. We've changed our approach, we're persisting with it, and we're suffering as a result.

In terms of Kante, of course we miss his presence. However, the Kante that is playing for Chelsea this season wouldn't make much difference to our team and style of play this season. Last year, he was playing differently and we were playing differently.

Drinkwater is being set out to fail by making him play in some weird 'quarterback' role for us. It's not his game and he's not very good at it. Just because he's on the ball more than anyone else, doesn't mean he's doing a good job. Most of his passes are pointless and he plays so deep that it exposes our midfield as pretty much empty. Drinkwater is at his best as a box-to-box midfielder and we'd do well to remember that.

I think of King as a cog in a wheel. If the team are set up for him, he looks like a very capable player. Set the team up badly against decent opposition and he stands out like a sore thumb, much like Amartey.

All this means that we're tactically miles behind where we were last year, for reasons I cannot fathom. We played quite poorly a lot in the second half of last season but we got results because of our tactical approach. We all lauded Ranieri as a genius for it. The real question this season isn't about individuals, wages, new players, injuries, etc. It's about why we created a superb identity that is unique and effective and then we've just binned it.

Although you claim that there is no doubt about us playing deeper, I don't think that it's accurate. We're actually deliberately trying to play a higher line than we did last season. It's been pretty obvious to me in our games to date - anyone else?

There is a clear desire to push our team further up the pitch, get Drinkwater on the ball more and try to work our way through teams more. It's almost like we're embarrassed about how we bypassed 'normal' ways of playing football last season and are trying to be more like the rest. For me, it was the very fact that we ignored the traditional 'rules' that set us apart and it's a bit bizarre that we've abandoned what worked.

People say that the opposition have sussed us out and are playing differently against us. I don't buy this either. Were it the case, they'd have done similar in the second half of last season. We've changed our approach, we're persisting with it, and we're suffering as a result.

In terms of Kante, of course we miss his presence. However, the Kante that is playing for Chelsea this season wouldn't make much difference to our team and style of play this season. Last year, he was playing differently and we were playing differently.

Drinkwater is being set out to fail by making him play in some weird 'quarterback' role for us. It's not his game and he's not very good at it. Just because he's on the ball more than anyone else, doesn't mean he's doing a good job. Most of his passes are pointless and he plays so deep that it exposes our midfield as pretty much empty. Drinkwater is at his best as a box-to-box midfielder and we'd do well to remember that.

I think of King as a cog in a wheel. If the team are set up for him, he looks like a very capable player. Set the team up badly against decent opposition and he stands out like a sore thumb, much like Amartey.

All this means that we're tactically miles behind where we were last year, for reasons I cannot fathom. We played quite poorly a lot in the second half of last season but we got results because of our tactical approach. We all lauded Ranieri as a genius for it. The real question this season isn't about individuals, wages, new players, injuries, etc. It's about why we created a superb identity that is unique and effective and then we've just binned it.

Simple. It's because we are superstars now.

That's bollox in my opinion. Just an easy excuse.

Mentally to many of our players think they are "big stars" now. They aren't putting the persistent and continual effort in that they did last season and they are playing differently because they are "stars".

Simple. It's because we are superstars now.

Personally I think that is a load of bollux. the players who are on £5million a year this year were on £1-2million last year so were already 'stars', so no significant lifestyle changes, with the possible exception of Vardy being distarcted by his book and film. Chelsea, Man City and Utd and Liverpool and Arsenal all have 'stars' on much higher wages, but they still play well.

With the possible exception of Mahrez, I did not see lots of media reports suggesting that Huth, Morgan, Drinkwater or Schmeichel should be playing for Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. They are still pretty much grounded as rejected journeymen who came good together as the 'Band of Brothers'.

Most of our senior players are playing all the EPL and CL games. There is only ever a couple of changes for a game such as Hernandez for Simpson or Slimani for Okazaki.

Defences have sussed out our high press, so sit deep.

Refs have sussed out our dodgy but effective use of defensive 'pulls' and 'elbows' and clamped down.

Even if we still had Kante, I think we would still be struggling against thev top teams, but probably would have easily beated WBA and Watford.

We still have committed, motivated players. We not have a new effective way of playing. That is down to Ranieri to fashion a Plan B.

Bigmac,

I didn't say that King was as good at passing. You're confusing me with someone else.

I do however think you are just jumping at an easy (and false) excuse where you've taken 1 from 2 and got 7. Kanté leaving isn't the reason. He didn't do a Space Jam with Vardy's skill and most of the rest of the team's mental effort.

FIF

Apologies I did get partially confused however we are sat deeper to compensate for Cante the fact is that King and Armartey are woefully short of his high standards CR did not recruit well enough

Bigmac

Apologies accepted.

CR recruited Mendy, he's good enough but he's injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669