The Upsetters - In These Times Dub
Errol Walker - In These Times
Mikey Dread - Dread At The Mantrols
Lee "Scratch" Perry - Dreadlocks In Moonlight
Max Romeo - Chase the Devil
The Heptones & Jah Lion - Mr President
The Upsetters - Revelation Dub
Max Romeo - War In A Babylon

The Shop Assistants - Will Anything Happen.

Love this. Is it just me or has Scotland produced about 3 times as many great guitar bands than England?

In fact, having looked through this list I think you are also using a different defininition of the term 'great' that I've not come across before too.

Are you restricting that statement to fey indiepop?

No, but then what other guitar British guitar bands who aren't twee pop are worth listening to? :icon_wink

Last edited:
Aha, now you're changing the genre to suit your own purpose - you know I know shit about 'twee pop guitar British guitar' bands.

I would just like to point out that the electric guitar should be used primarily as a rhythm instrument. Anything else is just fretboard masturbation

I would just like to point out that the electric guitar should be used primarily as a rhythm instrument. Anything else is just fretboard masturbation

Agreed. Though I make exceptions for Neil Young's one-note guitar solos.

Any guitar solo which uses more than one note or chords is fretboard masturbation though.

Last edited:
A good solo is an indicator of proper talent if you ask me. Some musicians have a good talent for creating memorable lyrics,some for creating memorable music, and some are barely even musicians. As a keen guitar player myself I can quite confidently state that guitar soloing is not purely about 'fretboard wanking'. I'd say you get out of it what you put into it, if you take the time to only learn the basic chords, you are only going to be able to make basic music, but if you take the time to learn scales and beyond then you can better appreciate them. I reckon the guitar is a truly unique instrument in that you can really portray great emotion and feeling in your music than you can with most other instruments and solos and licks do that better than any riff.

This is probably one of my favourites:

Last edited by a moderator:
220px-Elliottsmitheitheror55.jpg
220px-Elliott_Smith_%28album%29.jpg

220px-Elliott_smith_figure_8_cover.jpg220px-Elliott_smith_from_a_basement_on_the_hill_cover.jpg

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663