What happened to Waghorn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

When he first came down on loan form Sun'lan he was like Championship version of Wayne Rooney, powerful runs on goal, harassing defenders, shooting on sight, etc

A 3 million pound striker shouldn't have gone off his game so quickly

Is it a confidence thing because he's not a regular starter or is it something else (eg. team style)?

When he first came down on loan form Sun'lan he was like Championship version of Wayne Rooney, powerful runs on goal, harassing defenders, shooting on sight, etc

"like Championship version of Wayne Rooney"?! :081:

No he really wasn't. He was extremely average in his loan season here, but just happened to have 5 or 6 good games. He had a youthful enthusiasm as he had a chance to prove himself for the first time and that was it which pulled him through a few games, but that's gone now that he's proved himself. I guess that's because his game is based entirely round his workrate and he has the footballing intelligence of a shrew.

A 3 million pound striker shouldn't have gone off his game so quickly

Is it a confidence thing because he's not a regular starter or is it something else (eg. team style)?

It's none of that. He simply was never good enough to begin with.

Last edited:
I think a few things...

He never really was a "3 million pound striker"... we paid well over the odds, and despite him doing well here on loan, we all knew that at the time.

Then I think not having a regular starting place (his best run was when Fryatt was injured and he was starting every game), new manager and new style of play have all had a big impact. Or... he had a good run of form while he was on loan here, and we're now realising he's not as good as he seemed in those couple of months. He didn't do all that well when he first joined eiter

And because he's not done so well, probably a confidence thing too, and that £3m price tag adds a burden.

Last edited:
I think he must challenge Akinbiyi and DJ Campbell for the biggest waste of money we've dished out over the past 20 years or so.

Certainly wouldn't surprise me to see Waghorn plying his trade in the non-league in 5 years time, at any rate.

Very harsh. His performances for us on loan were consistently good. Most supporters were delighted with the permanent signing. He then got caught up in the general disaster under Sousa and was affected much like Hobbs and Fryatt.

He's still only 21. This season could be his make or break one though. So far, in preseason and in the first week, he has disappointingly looked like the player of 2010/11 rather than the one from 2009/10. He needs a run of games and some goals. This is unlikely with us so a loan would make sense. We can't loan him without getting at least one new striker in though.

When he missed that easy chance on Tuesday against Rotherham he looked as though he had just missed the chance to score the winner in a tight game rather than add to a comfortable win. He should have made sure he scored rather than make it too obvious for the old geezer in goal. He was trying too hard with his corner kicks thinking he can score from it, rather than think about where to put it yesterday so I heard. Something I've seen him try before.

With Dyer doing so well when coming on against Real Madrid I thought he would get the nod for the impact player on the bench rather than Waggy as King and Gallagher will usually be there if they are not in the first XI and there will always be at least one defender and a goalie, unless Sven wants to chance it by leaving Weale out and putting another outfield player on the bench instead.

Last edited:
When he missed that easy chance on Tuesday against Rotherham he looked as though he had just missed the chance to score the winner in a tight game rather than add to a comfortable win. He should have made sure he scored rather than make it too obvious for the old geezer in goal.
Eh? It was 4-1 when he missed that chance :102:

Very harsh. His performances for us on loan were consistently good. Most supporters were delighted with the permanent signing. He then got caught up in the general disaster under Sousa and was affected much like Hobbs and Fryatt.

He's still only 21. This season could be his make or break one though. So far, in preseason and in the first week, he has disappointingly looked like the player of 2010/11 rather than the one from 2009/10. He needs a run of games and some goals. This is unlikely with us so a loan would make sense. We can't loan him without getting at least one new striker in though.

Excellent post.

Why does everyone persist with the idea that he cost 3 million? The fee was undisclosed but it was thought to be 2 million plus add-ons, which could, potentially, rise to 3 million. Seeing as he's never going to make x number of appearances or score x number of goals, he's always going to be a 2 million player.

That's still too much, but not as big a waste of money as is being made out.

I'm just wumming for the sake of it though. £3mil sounds like more of a rip-off. Difference is when spouting out a load of crap in long words I can't cite some obscure Italian managers from the 60s to make my point sound better when it's not, i think ill even start a bit of laxidasical and americanized spelling and punctuation to annoy certain uzers

Christ. I'm even boring myself nowadays, I can't even become self-referential anymore and I have literally no idea whether this is an attempt for attention out of tirefneor just some bored nonsense ramblings either. I need a several month exile (is that month or months?).

oh and i have to have the obligatory 7 times edit too.

Last edited:
I'm just wumming for the sake of it though. £3mil sounds like more of a rip-off. Difference is when spouting out a load of crap in long words I can't cite some obscure Italian managers from the 60s to make my point sound better when it's not, i think ill even start a bit of laxidasical and americanized spelling and punctuation to annoy certain uzers

Christ. I'm even boring myself nowadays, I can't even become self-referential anymore and I have literally no idea whether this is an attempt for attention out of tirefneor just some bored nonsense ramblings either. I need a several month exile (is that month or months?).

I'm not sure what this is, but I think I like it.

Profound Profondo, profound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670