What makes you feel English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing something that is typically English doesn't mean it has to be exclusively English - there's a difference.

Doing something that is typically English doesn't mean it has to be exclusively English - there's a difference.

So doing something common in lots of countries can make you feel English?
Right, I see what you mean now.

I doubt any of the countries that were raped and pillaged would agree with that.

Many of those countries would be in a lot poorer state than they are now if they had never been occupied.

So doing something common in lots of countries can make you feel English?
Right, I see what you mean now.

Croissants are eaten all over the world doesn't mean they are not a typically French thing to eat. If you are looking for things that are done exclusively in a country to define that country you will have a very short list.

But you could argue that the fact that many countries now eat croissants makes somebody proud to be French.

OK, now were getting somewhere.

You could equally argue that somebody enjoying some Lincolnshire sausages, old spot bacon, local mushrooms and eggs then off down the footy after a few pints of ale makes them feel English.

The fry-up may or may not be an English invention but you can have an English spin on it with English ingredients as opposed to soda bread or those rank square sausages the jocks have. I don't think any specific country can claim to have invented the pig.

Isnt the whole point of this thread what makes people feel english? Therefore it doesnt matter if somebody says singing the French national anthem whilst eating Saurkraut. Its what makes THEM feel English.

Personally watching the local cricket team for the comfort of the pub garden and sunday markets makes me feel english.

Isnt the whole point of this thread what makes people feel english? Therefore it doesnt matter if somebody says singing the French national anthem whilst eating Saurkraut. Its what makes THEM feel English.

Personally watching the local cricket team for the comfort of the pub garden and sunday markets makes me feel english.

Yeah Yeah but what about poached eggs? How English do you feel when eating them ?

What are you basing that on?

you could make a good argument for India being a global IT centre and being one of the growing BRIC countries because of it's legacy of English-speaking citizens educated in British-style schools

and the US doesn't seem to be doing too badly considering it's founders were English, it would be a different place if it were still red indians running around

the destructive legacy of empire is best countered, for me, by the argument that people are always going to shit upon each other, if the US hadn't been a British colony, the French would have had it or Spain

I was just about to post something along those lines Will, the whole idea of the thread was what made them feel English but as you well know you aren’t allowed your own opinion around here.

What makes me feel English is sitting in the Pub up here watching England play and realising I'm the only person in there who wants them to win....obviously I'm eating a Fry Up at the same time

What makes me feel English is sitting in the Pub up here watching England play and realising I'm the only person in there who wants them to win....obviously I'm eating a Fry Up at the same time

A fry-up? How very un-english.

English, Scottish, Irish or Continental?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669