Confirmed Transfer Wilfred Ndidi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Release clause?

Sanity Clause?
What do you mean there is no such thing as a Sanity Clause?

Welcome Wilfred, a highly anticipated signing.

Let's hope he can fir in and provide some answers to questions we have been asking and not just another piece to an increasingly over complicated puzzle.

According to a journalist up here we beat Newcastle to his signature.

I like that he's tall and can use his head. But what really matters is how well he defends.

I wouldn't have thought a release clause, in and of itself, is cause for concern. It's the value of the release that might be an issue, or other conditions that might trigger a release. Relegation for instance. So, tbh, it wouldn't surprise me that there's a release clause in many players' contracts.

As Ndidi's is a long contract, it wouldn't therefore surprise me if there was some form of release built in. One hopes that it is more than 5 shillings and sixpence though. Don't forget the contract works both ways. The club will presumably equally ensure it's not committing itself to high wages (for instance) for the next 5 and a half years.

Except maybe Chelsea - and the memory's sketchy here - didn't they have someone on their books that they couldn't get rid of who was taking a huge salary merely to turn up to training. The player had no interest in going anywhere else and wouldn't agree to the contract being rescinded, so Chelsea couldn't offload him. Forget who it was now. Time for a web search....

...it was Winston Bogarde. Signed in 2000-01, made 11 appearances and his contract expired in 2004. The manager at Chelsea? One Claudio Ranieri!*

(*CR didn't actually sign Bogarde)

from wikipedia (so it must be true)

According to Bogarde, it would be next to impossible to find a team that would offer him a contract comparable to the one he had at Chelsea: he was astounded at the salary the club had agreed on, as his value depreciated severely due to lack of first-team action, and decided to stay and honour his contract to the letter and appear for training every day, despite being only rarely selected to play.Of his contract he said, "Why should I throw fifteen million Euro away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract." In the end, he only appeared eleven times during his four-year contract, reportedly earning £40,000 a week during this period.

Last edited:
and where did he go afterwards?

Wow.

Yes, adds a new dimension to 'bogarting the joint'. Winston took all of his share at Chelsea, and arguably some more. To be fair though, one can see his rationale.

Yes, really. In the wrong context, you could have had a point, but in this case you're just being silly.

It is perfectly reasonable to describe someone as 'black' when coming up with a number of descriptive words to imply similarity with another black person.

Many things are worth getting offended about nowadays but this really isn't one of them.

That could take a while. There's no guarantee that he'll get one.
Has a team ever announced a signing and then failed to get a work permit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363