Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.

FryattFox

Nadal knocked out at this stage in a Major for the first time in 7 years.

It's Tiger Murray's year...

So I'll stick my neck out on the line and say I really want the dour Scott to go well today. I love tennis and would really like to see this 1936 British Jinx go, then at least we can watch future tennis without the outpouring of mass nationalistic hysteria (Mostly from middle aged women in Union flag hats). The British Media just love dates equating to sporting failure don't they. Fred Perry was a great in his day winning Wimbledon in 1936 only losing 2 games in the final. The modern game however has changed so much so that comaprisons I feel are irrelevant.

Murray had a great chance in 2009 in his first Wimbledon Semi, Roddick upped his game that day and provided a slight shock. Murray was still raw and Roddick had of course previously made two Wimbledon finals apprearances. I think he has a better chance against the erratic Jo Wilfred Tsonga as long as he doesn't play the opening set the way he did against Ferrer. I'm not sure where I would put my money maybe I'd ask Foxybru.

So I'll stick my neck out on the line and say I really want the dour Scott to go well today. I love tennis and would really like to see this 1936 British Jinx go, then at least we can watch future tennis without the outpouring of mass nationalistic hysteria (Mostly from middle aged women in Union flag hats). The British Media just love dates equating to sporting failure don't they. Fred Perry was a great in his day winning Wimbledon in 1936 only losing 2 games in the final. The modern game however has changed so much so that comaprisons I feel are irrelevant.

Murray had a great chance in 2009 in his first Wimbledon Semi, Roddick upped his game that day and provided a slight shock. Murray was still raw and Roddick had of course previously made two Wimbledon finals apprearances. I think he has a better chance against the erratic Jo Wilfred Tsonga as long as he doesn't play the opening set the way he did against Ferrer. I'm not sure where I would put my money maybe I'd ask Foxybru.

You got your wish.... he had a bit of a wobble, but played really well overall. Difficult game ahead against the machine Federer.

I'm often miserable but I've never ever been as miserable looking as Andy Murray after winning his semi-final. At least Tsonga managed a smile at the end.

Murray can play very well but he comes over as such a melancholic sad individual.

I'm often miserable but I've never ever been as miserable looking as Andy Murray after winning his semi-final. At least Tsonga managed a smile at the end.

Murray can play very well but he comes over as such a melancholic sad individual.

Lendl is his coach; he was the most miserable player I can remember. Will not matter if he wins though!

Delighted for Murray. Never has there been such a clear world no. 4 - not in the league of the 3 above him but clearly a class above everyone else.

So good to have a Wimbledon final with a home player to support!

(sorry - two finals as we have Jonny Marray in the doubles too!)

Last edited:
You got your wish.... he had a bit of a wobble, but played really well overall. Difficult game ahead against the machine Federer.

I turned off the Murray match when he was two sets up. It was noticeable to me that the level of tennis in the other semi final was vastly superior. Hard task ahead I guess stranger things have happened.

I turned off the Murray match when he was two sets up.

I turned off the Murray match when the other bloke got hit in the bollocks. I figured nothing more interesting than that was going to happen so there was little point in wasting any more time.

Murray blubbing on centre court now as the loser to King Federer who won his 7th Wimbledon title.
Murray always looks like a kid who has just had his favourite toy taken from him. Ivan Lendl, who coaches Murray, looks a miserable git he never smiles and did not even applaud his own player when he gave his speech.
Still well played Federer.

He tweeted this:

"Ha Murray just rendered my column obsolete"

"Mind you, I think the general thrust about not smiling to order still stands"

:icon_lol:

I didn't see the match or the outpouring of emotion, I watched up till Fed broke back in the first set and thought, "I really can't be doing this to myself". It was late though and needed some kip.

It now transpires that it was the bloody roof what won it for Fed. (As predicted by Richard Krajicek in yesterday's Observer and reiterated on R4 Today programme).

Jesus wept.

For the last two sets Federer seemed to decide to just hit the ball on the lines rather than the rest of the court. Excellent tennis!

Murray still had some chances though. At least Federer will only be around another 2/3 years...that just leaves Nadal and Djokovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566