Windows 10 - should I upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick with what you have if it does everything you want from it.

I believe you get a year to do the 'free' upgrade to Win 10 so definitely worth waiting a bit into that when the first patches have been released to iron out the initial bugs if you really do have to upgrade.

That was my gut feel as well. Thanks.

No probs, that's just my opinion though so all depends on what you use the computer for really as I'll probably update my tablet/netbook at some point as that's mainly a browser for me but my desktop will be staying 7 for a while as it's mainly for gaming.

Problem with early adoption is that some programs (or apps as they like to be called now) won't be geared up for the new OS and there'd be a high chance the Last FM scrobbler won't run on Win10 straight away which would leave you in the shit! :icon_wink

there'd be a high chance the Last FM scrobbler won't run on Win10 straight away which would leave you in the shit! :icon_wink

Oh, iTunes have already ****ed that up for me but thanks to Jeff I'm still able to post playlists :icon_bigg

To what? Windows or other flavours of Linux?

Although I've tried Ubuntu (and several others) I find that Mint just 'works' with my system and has all the drivers needed for my hardware and peripherals. Linux is certainly great as a free Windows replacement although I still use Windows more often due to certain programs being Windows specific. The only other bug-bear I have with Linux is that the look and feel, mainly the fonts, isn't seemingly as crisp. The fonts don't seem to render in a way that is pleasing to my eye!

Other than that I'd probably be more than happy to switch to Linux permanently.

I think Microsoft realise that there are many others feeling the same way hence the 'free' upgrade to Windows 10.
Cheers, I did mean to other Linuxes. Sounds good, I'll get it downloaded. Totally know what you mean about fonts though, I've been saying similar for years.

If you click the notification or system tray icon with the upgrade offer there will be a menu button (top left on win7, hamburger icon as it's come to be known) in the menu there is an option to check your system and should highlight if anything major isn't likely to work after the update.

If you click the notification or system tray icon with the upgrade offer there will be a menu button (top left on win7, hamburger icon as it's come to be known) in the menu there is an option to check your system and should highlight if anything major isn't likely to work after the update.

Thanks. Apparently my graphics card won't work so I won't be able to see if it is any good or not! Mind you, I'm sure plenty more drivers will be available once it rolls out.

Last edited:
It's worth a try updating your drivers now, and checking again.

I was told that my virtual Wi-Fi adapter won't work properly. Just thought I would note in case anybody else gets this, that this only refers to a feature that enables you to connect to 2 WiFi networks at the same time (or act as a hotspot for a second network)

Unless your primary adaptor is also listed you'll still be able to connect to 1 network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669