Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
Just got it downloading for the bargain price of £15, especially as its to upgrade a cracked copy of Win 7 which Microsoft seem quite happy with.

Has anyone used it yet? Thoughts??

Just got it downloading for the bargain price of £15, especially as its to upgrade a cracked copy of Win 7 which Microsoft seem quite happy with.

Has anyone used it yet? Thoughts??

It's only £24.99 to upgrade (if it really is one) my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. I setup the inlaws new Windows 8 Laptop on Sunday and found the OS a bit crappy to be honest but my opinion might change with more use.

There's an upgrade offer site for people who bought windows 7 PC's recently. They bought machines with a promise of being able to upgrade after Windows 8 was launched for £14.99.

The upgrade site earlier in the week was simply asking for a brand and model of PC and when you purchased it, they then email you a promo code. I've just had a look and they have plugged the hole slightly now by asking for your windows 7 license key. I didn't bother seeing if it was as easy to bypass that step as I suspect it might be.

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

Last edited:
I installed an RTM preview of it on a PC a while back and ****ing hated it. It reminded me of AOL6! It might be more enjoyable if you're using a tablet of some kind, but PC and laptop users are going to hate it

Last edited:
It's only £24.99 to upgrade (if it really is one) my Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. I setup the inlaws new Windows 8 Laptop on Sunday and found the OS a bit crappy to be honest but my opinion might change with more use.

Just so you are aware (you may already be) the reduced upgrade prices expire in January, when it goes to full price for all.

I installed an RTM preview of it on a PC a while back and ****ing hated it. It reminded me of AOL6! It might be more enjoyable if you're using a tablet of some kind, but PC and laptop users are going to hate it

Hmmm, I'm just saving a full system image in case I'm of the same opinion :)

Completed the upgrade. Really nothing to get too bothered by. Seems to work in the same manner as 7 on the whole.

Did you lose any data or software in the upgrade?

Nothing no.

The upgrade assistant was pretty good. It identified 2 programs that wouldn't work, however post upgrade they did still work. So everything was fine on the whole.

The only real difference is getting used to finding programs and shortcuts you're used to using over many years that are now located differently.

Oh, 1 issue I did encounter was the app tiles not working. Windows 8 comes with its own anti virus and my Avast install was conflicting. You either need to uninstall your AV or check for a windows 8 update for it. I updated Avast to Windows 8 version and all was well but it was confusing for a while.

Oh, 1 issue I did encounter was the app tiles not working. Windows 8 comes with its own anti virus and my Avast install was conflicting. You either need to uninstall your AV or check for a windows 8 update for it. I updated Avast to Windows 8 version and all was well but it was confusing for a while.

Do you mean Microsoft Security Essentials & Windows Defender?

Not sure Fludie, not really looked in to it.

Yeah but come on Durham, if you're gonna talk about these things, at least use the full name of the product. We've gotta have some standards around here FFS!

Got to use this today on a netbook and good gods it's awful. Not one programme ran at the native 1024x600

Got to use this today on a netbook and good gods it's awful. Not one programme ran at the native 1024x600

Im not surprised. The last netbook I used was about 3 years ago and nothing worked with the resolution then!

Im not surprised. The last netbook I used was about 3 years ago and nothing worked with the resolution then!

It's the most viable solution in our school but I deeply dislike them. I think I'd hate Win8 on a desktop as well, just seems wholly counter-intuitive.

It's the most viable solution in our school but I deeply dislike them. I think I'd hate Win8 on a desktop as well, just seems wholly counter-intuitive.

Its really no different, you don't have to use the start menu all that often if you don't want to.

I think I'd hate Win8 on a desktop as well, just seems wholly counter-intuitive.

That's exactly what I thought.
Well, not 'exactly'. It was more like "**** this, what a pile of wank", so close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566