Worst Premiership Referee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pathetic decision to send Beye off last night. Perfect challenge.
http://videos.sapo.pt/IMjt2fw9GuW0IecqNfqJ

To be fair, from the ref's and the lino's angles, it would look like a foul and they would have to send him off for it. We're fortunate to have lots of replays in different angles which shows he took the ball fairly. This will just bring up the whole video replay debate again no doubt.

Looked like a foul to me on the video posted. He may have got a oe to the ball but he also took half the player.

To be fair, from the ref's and the lino's angles, it would look like a foul and they would have to send him off for it. We're fortunate to have lots of replays in different angles which shows he took the ball fairly. This will just bring up the whole video replay debate again no doubt.

:038::038:

My first instinct from watching the game was penalty, unfortunately that is all a referee has to go on!

Yes, you have a point but it isn't the first time Rob Styles screws up.
I think many other Premiership referees would have read that situation differently but that's just speculation I suppose.
Looked like a foul to me on the video posted. He may have got a oe to the ball but he also took half the player.

But he touched the ball first and therefore that's never a foul.

Poll is at it again in todays Daily Mail:

"Just because Habib Beye played the ball, it doesn't mean it wasn't a foul."

But he touched the ball first and therefore that's never a foul.

Poll is at it again in todays Daily Mail:

"Just because Habib Beye played the ball, it doesn't mean it wasn't a foul."

It can be a foul even if he played the ball first.

The laws of the game say a tackle is a foul if it's "in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force"

The laws of the game say a tackle is a foul if it's "in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force"

Oh yes of course, but it was nothing of that in this case. Beye took a big risk but he should have got away with it.

Ah well, I'm not sad to see Newcastle lose a few more points, it's just that I think Styles has made more bad decisions in critical situations that other Premiership referees have done during the last few years.

I agree. Too many players (and fans) believe 'anything goes' as long as you touch the ball first.

Thank goodness somebody knows the truth. I can stop replying to the thread now.

Last edited:

Oh yes of course, but it was nothing of that in this case.

I agree that there was "nothing of that in this case", but there doesn't have to be - I'm not even sure why Jeff quoted it. The Newcastle player tripped the Manchester City player in the penalty area - that's a penalty.

:102:

I didn't see the tackle, I was just responding to the thing about playing the ball first meaning it can't be a foul.

Ah, I see. I suppose this particular tackle would properly be described as stupid, perhaps even careless when it is considered that the intention presumably was not to give away a penalty; recklessness and undue force were certainly not involved.

Ah, I see. I suppose this particular tackle would properly be described as stupid, perhaps even careless when it is considered that the intention presumably was not to give away a penalty; recklessness and undue force were certainly not involved.

That's what I said in my third post:
"Oh yes of course, but it was nothing of that in this case. Beye took a big risk but he should have got away with it."

I meant it was a never a penalty in that situation, sorry if I was being unclear.

Another Rob Styles link:

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2008/10/21/the-spoilers-robbed-by-rob-styles-xi#more-5189

That's what I said in my third post:
"Oh yes of course, but it was nothing of that in this case. Beye took a big risk but he should have got away with it."

I meant it was a never a penalty in that situation, sorry if I was being unclear.

You weren't being unclear. You're just wrong in your opinion. Read what I said in my other posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669