Confirmed Transfer Yunus Akgün

Leicester City Football Club is pleased to confirm the signing of winger Yunus Akgün from Turkish Süper Lig side Galatasaray on a season-long loan, subject to league and international clearance.

The 23-year-old Turkish international’s arrival adds further strength to Enzo Maresca’s squad as they look to build on a promising start to the 2023/24 Sky Bet Championship season.

A product of Galatasaray’s academy, Akgün arrives with a reputation as an exciting winger, with his 25 appearances for his parent club last season helping them to secure the Turkish top-flight title.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Akgün said: “I’m very proud to be here. I’m so excited to get on that pitch and meet with the supporters. When I arrived, the way I was greeted by the Club and the staff here, they were all friendly and I’m so happy that I made the right decision.

“All players, especially from Turkey, their dream would be to play abroad in Europe and this is my first experience. I’m going to do my best to do well for the Club and hope to have a great season ahead.”

Born in Küçükçekmece, Akgün came through the ranks of Galatasaray’s youth system before eventually making his senior debut for the club in the 2018 Turkish Super Cup against Akhisarspor.

His Süper Lig bow followed in a 6-0 win over Alanyaspor in August 2018 before netting his first domestic goal for The Lions against Goztepe in July 2020.

A loan move to Adana Demirspor in 2020/21 further helped his development as a player. He featured 28 times in the campaign, with his performances helping the club achieve promotion to Turkey’s top tier.

He returned on loan to Adana at the beginning of the 2021/22 campaign. He played 34 Süper Lig games, scoring on eight occasions and providing 11 assists and continued to progress with Galatasaray last term – making 25 appearances as they claimed a 23rd league title.

Internationally, Akgün has represented Turkey at various youth levels, and has earned five caps for the senior national team, with his debut coming against Faroe Islands in June 2022.

Seems a good signing for this level and certainly a position we are lacking in.

Looking forward to see him play and hopefully 2 or 3 more to come in too.

Yeah this is a big piece of the jigsaw, along with Casadei.

Excited to get a winger in, and a decent age and with the option to buy.

This is the kind of thing I want to be seeing. Players with potential to grow here.

Also for right now, it's a position we need and gives us another attacking option - which I think we'll be glad of pretty soon. Worried despite the wins, we're not looking fluent in attack yet.

£430k for the year long loan.

£7.7m to make move permanent if he plays 25 matches this season (not clear if that's starts/league games or what).

I've never seen him play. So I'll withhold judgement.

Good start, 3 or 4 more by next weekend please

So, do Galatasary think that Tete is an upgrade on Akgun? I haven't seen Akgun play so can't really comment. Maybe Galatasaray only watched Tate's debut?

So, do Galatasary think that Tete is an upgrade on Akgun? I haven't seen Akgun play so can't really comment. Maybe Galatasaray only watched Tate's debut?
I mean, Turkish clubs buy any old shit if they’ve got something like a PL club on their CV.

If this lad looks like he’s seen a football before and wants to be here then he’s an upgrade on Tete.

Signing number seven​

Leicester have sealed their seventh signing of the summer with winger Yunus Akgun joining on a season-long loan from Galatasaray.

A new right-sided wide-man has been a priority for City since the start of the transfer window and with less than a week to go, they have a new recruit for the position, with the Turkish international signing up until at least the end of the campaign.

Akgun, who has five caps for his country, played for Galatarasay in a Champions League qualifier just a few days ago, but with the Turkish giants signing the likes of Hakim Ziyech, Wilfried Zaha, and former City winger Tete this summer, they have sanctioned his exit.

The 23-year-old registered one goal and four assists last season but was terrific the year before during a loan spell at Adana Demirspor, registering 26 goal involvements in 38 games for the club.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463