"Zonal Marking"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bren

Is it zonal marking? Its the only thing i can describe what we do at set pieces, free kicks, corners etc. It is my only qualm at the minute, i thought most of the team were excellent last night, except the back line and Wilcox (although Sylla was anominous)
Every time a corner came in we looked panicked, instead of marking every player we defend in a line and almost every time at least 1 Stoke player was on his own to get to the ball first. Did everyone else notice this too?
Also just a little bit of critisism, Mr Gilbert did not look very comfortable at all last night. The number of times he had room to run into but he never used it, he always turned back inside to play the ball to Johannsson, he also didn't look that accomplished with the ball at his feet. I am sure (hoping!) that he is just settling and getting to full fitness, but on that performance why was Stearman dropped from the team because he looked better on the floor and going forward on Saturday.

Breni thought most of the team were excellent last night said:
So only four were good then?

its not just defending set-pieces that we need to improve, it's attacking too.

Bren said:
Is it zonal marking? Its the only thing i can describe what we do at set pieces, free kicks, corners etc. It is my only qualm at the minute, i thought most of the team were excellent last night, except the back line and Wilcox (although Sylla was anominous)
Every time a corner came in we looked panicked, instead of marking every player we defend in a line and almost every time at least 1 Stoke player was on his own to get to the ball first. Did everyone else notice this too?
Also just a little bit of critisism, Mr Gilbert did not look very comfortable at all last night. The number of times he had room to run into but he never used it, he always turned back inside to play the ball to Johannsson, he also didn't look that accomplished with the ball at his feet. I am sure (hoping!) that he is just settling and getting to full fitness, but on that performance why was Stearman dropped from the team because he looked better on the floor and going forward on Saturday.

Stearman was dropped so Maybury can play right back. I thought Gilbert did all right defensivly, got his foot in, with Danny back on sat I think we'll see more of him bombing forward. he can't do that playing with Wilcox can he.

according to Radio Leics gilbert isnt fully fit, they were told this before the game. He is been played to get him to full match fitness.

So we score 5 in two games but we need to sort out our attacking?

Have to agree that maybe the defence is lacking a little at the mo but I reckon the two centre backs need time to gel and that when we get two settled players at right nad left back we will be okay.

Lets remember this is a relatively new team and they need time to gel as a whole. It is not goin to happen in two competitive games.

Lets just continue to get behind the boys and hope they can continue to play well.

I have to agree that the marking at set pieces is particularly worrying. CL stated that one of his aims was to stop leaking goals form such situations. 26 Conceded last season in this way.

We have to go man for man making sure all are picked up, likewise we need to leave 1 up so we have an outlet when we win the ball. At present unless the keeper collects the ball it always comes straight back.

Likwise further work has to be done on our won set pieces. The delivery from corners and free kicks was not so good on tuesday, we used to be known as a team very capable of scoring from such situations. At present this looks highly unlikely.

Room for improvement but a heartening result

Tell me if I am wrong but I noticed this.

Maybury left back, stearman playing - 1 goal conceded
Maybury right back gilbert playing - 5 goals conceded

So I know what defensive layout I prefer.

Just more practice and match time playing together will help. I wouldn't rush to change things just yet (although McCarthy will be suspended in a couple of weeks if he keeps getting booked).

Chrysalis said:
Tell me if I am wrong but I noticed this.

Maybury left back, stearman playing - 1 goal conceded
Maybury right back gilbert playing - 5 goals conceded

So I know what defensive layout I prefer.

Ridiculous point and more proof on how misleading stats can be. Gilbert is a promising young player, he was not at fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566