£1200 to spend, What laptop to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffa Bacon

Due to an accident on a plane my work laptop is being replaced by our insurance, I have around £1200 to spend on the replacement and would be interested in peoples opinions. The new machine must use windows due to company policy.

The old machine was a really small (11") Sony Vaio VGN-TZ21 and as I travel a lot this was a nice, I can't find anything under 13" unless I look at netbooks now.

I just got a Macbook Pro 13 inch, very nice and light too. For that money you could get windows installed and a SSD drive.

Last edited:
Don't look beyound 'apple', my son has a laptop through his business cost about £1200, and that was a couple of years ago its superb, no doubt they have upgraded the model since then. Definatley my next computer, after this steam engine packs in.

I just got a Macbook Pro 13 inch, very nice and light too. For that money you could get windows installed and a SSD drive.

Don't look beyound 'apple', my son has a laptop through his business cost about £1200, and that was a couple of years ago its superb, no doubt they have upgraded the model since then. Definatley my next computer, after this steam engine packs in.

What would be the point of buying an over-priced Mac, with an operating system that he doesn't need, and then have to pay for, **** about having to install and dual boot into Windows?

A waste of time, money and effort.

Thanks for the input, I did say that it is company policy that I cannot have an apple as the IT services won't deal with multiple operating systems and the machine won't actual belong to me. As it's an emergency replacement I'll probably just get a decent 13" machine with the latest i5 processor from PC World and add on some extra software.

Thanks for the input, I did say that it is company policy that I cannot have an apple as the IT services won't deal with multiple operating systems and the machine won't actual belong to me. As it's an emergency replacement I'll probably just get a decent 13" machine with the latest i5 processor from PC World and add on some extra software.

Oops, I didn't mention the apple policy in the first post, I blame the fact I am using borrowed hardware :icon_lol:

HP Envy 14" looks superb.

Too big for my regular travel, I tried buying a Toshiba yesterday at Currys and they lost out on £1000 of business because they can't accept credit cards without a chip (for some reason my German company card has no chip).

Too big for my regular travel, I tried buying a Toshiba yesterday at Currys and they lost out on £1000 of business because they can't accept credit cards without a chip (for some reason my German company card has no chip).

Seriously, don't buy a Toshiba. My work laptop is a 13" Tosh and it's terrible. Seriously wank. Would the extra inch make that much diff?

Seriously, don't buy a Toshiba. My work laptop is a 13" Tosh and it's terrible. Seriously wank. Would the extra inch make that much diff?

That's funny, Toshiba have the highest satisfaction rating for business computers in the surveys I have looked at (well that's not technically true, Apple has the highest but that's not an option for me).

I've had Sony Vaio for the last 7 years and hate them and all the pointless useless crap on them.

Last edited:
My wife has a 13" advent that is pretty decent, depending on what you need to do on it. What is the most intensive thing you use it for?

No operating system is perfect, they all have particular problems. Personally, between just the two, I prefer Windows over Mac OSX. Plus, the hardware is, and always has been, overpriced for what it is.

That's funny, Toshiba have the highest satisfaction rating for business computers in the surveys I have looked at (well that's not technically true, Apple has the highest but that's not an option for me).

I've had Sony Vaio for the last 7 years and hate them and all the pointless useless crap on them.
Yes you do need to wipe a whole host of their in-house developed crap off the Sonys.

All of the Toshibas Ive had from work have been distinctly shite. We buy HPs now which seem better received.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566