2 New Signings for Leicestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashyfox

Over the course of the last week Tim Boon has added a couple of additions to the squad.

David Stiff has signed after being on trial with us after being released from Kent last summer. He's 22 years old and is a right arm fast bowler.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/285052.html

Rudra Pratap Singh – otherwise known as R.P has become the second oversea signing. He's a 21 year old left arm quickie from India. He's played 20 ODI and 2 test matches.

http://www.leicestershireccc.co.uk/articles/0/585.html

Both these signings meet the criteria that Tim Boon is looking for. Young talent with something to prove. RP Singh is currently battling for a place in the Indian test side with other left armers like Irfan Pathan, Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra. A season in county cricket can only help him develop his game. David Stiff has played for England U19's but never fulfilled his potential at Kent some what due to injuries.

Tom New the 22 year old wicket keeper has also signed a 2 year extension. He might find he'll be playing more with Nixon away with England possibly and no overseas batting star around.

RP is a good fast bowler, i hope he does well for the Foxes!!

Let's hope he is, because we haven't got a chance again this season if he follows in the footsteps of Cleary, Willoughby, Griffith or Drakes. We need Broad & A.N.Other to take 50 wickets. Sounds like that Stiff could have potential though.

Stiff was awful for our seconds last season while on trial from Kent. I'm surprised he got a contract at all, amazing that only a few seasons ago he was seen as the hottest bowling prospect in the country.

RP Singh, sounds like a decent signing, although Grace Road has become a bit of a paceman's graveyard in recent years. Hope he doesn't go the same way.

The two overseas signings tell me however that we're trying to do things on the cheap. I believe that it wouldn't take much to turn us into a side capable of promotion, we just need those one or two world class players capable of turning draws into wins.

The two overseas signings tell me however that we're trying to do things on the cheap. I believe that it wouldn't take much to turn us into a side capable of promotion, we just need those one or two world class players capable of turning draws into wins.

Have been for the last 5 years. Mongia was a cheaper overseas player than some of his peers. That's why when that Rogers chap from Oz who knocked 160 off the Aussies, we didnt bring in Rogers (who subsequently is knocking loads of runs for some county which I forgot) because Mongia was a lot more low maintance.

It does but I think tim Boon is trying to do the right thing and get some younger blood in as well. It's not always the top overseas players that make a successful side (we won the title with Phil Simmons, the ultimate committed overseas player), so if Boon has got them right then it could give us the firepower we need. And let's face it the marketing issue is a real issue, competing as we are with test ground counties with an unfair advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669