21 games to go, whats needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keeperno1

Well having looked at the stats for the last 5 seasons the required ammount of points to finish 6th at best is as follows:

So that means we need 40 points from the last 21 games in order to have a chance of a playoff spot. Slightly over 2 ponts per game, even if we won half of them at home we only have 30 points so some serious work needed on our away form to even give us a sniff of a chance.

In seriousness I don't think it's out of the question but we need championship winning form. We've only done that for about a month this season.

is averaging 2 points per game for the last 21 games too much to ask?

Yes, i think it is. Even with a settled squad and regular starting eleven it would be a big ask. We know that there are changes afoot during January which hopefully will bring better quality but they have to be integrated into the team and Sven's system. We have an outside chance at best, given the games in hand other teams have. Please prove me wrong though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realistically folks I think the final playoff positions will go right to the wire. We're 14th with 32 points just 3 off 6th. I seem to remeber we were 17th a few weeks ago 5 off the playoffs. The fact is that everyone is beating everyone else so a decent string of results will see us up there.

Asuch as I hated Adams and his moronic statements, "free games etc", Keep the faith!

Realistically folks I think the final playoff positions will go right to the wire. We're 14th with 32 points just 3 off 6th. I seem to remeber we were 17th a few weeks ago 5 off the playoffs. The fact is that everyone is beating everyone else so a decent string of results will see us up there.

Asuch as I hated Adams and his moronic statements, "free games etc", Keep the faith!

To be honest, you do have to take into account the game in hands, and we look at them right now and it doesn't look good at all !!!

Also what average do we need to come 2nd or is that 'impossible' yet?

To be honest, you do have to take into account the game in hands, and we look at them right now and it doesn't look good at all !!!

If third-bottom Scunthorpe win their 3 games in hand they move above us.

We're doomed.

I think we managed 20 points from 10 games after Souza left so it is not out of the question just a little unlikely

This season will always suffer the handicap of a return of five points from the first nine league games under Sousa. Any hope of achieving anything positive after that was remote.

Sven has done remarkably well to arrest a slide and get us to play off form since his arrival. His return of 1.6 points a game is very good all things considered.

To get us into the play offs this year will require two points a game return from here on in. That is a lot to ask from a squad that is changing. Sven did manage this through October and November (10 games and 20 points) by quickly getting a team organised and leaving it alone. I expect he intends to do the same this month - make some changes quickly and then let them get on with it.

The problem with this method is that it works for a few games and then teams suss it out and counter it. We've proved to be unimpressive at dealing with this.

If Sven manages to get us into the top six at the end of the season it will be a massive achievement given the mess he inherited. In reality anything top half is a decent result.

Has to be said that this is likely to be a truly wasted season. The standard of the league is piss poor (QPR aside). With Sven or NP in place from the start we'd be up there competing for automatic promotion.

All thanks to stupid Mandy and his hapless appointment of that joker Sousa.

I still think we'll be there or there abouts. I don't feel the likes of Scunthorpe will win their three games in hand and given a good result tomorrow a win would give some confidence for the rest of the season. Swansea at home is not easy but we do have good form at home and given we played a pretty awful Hull side at home earlier in the season only managing a draw this shows Sven has made improvements. I seem to remember we wanted 7-9 points from the christmas fixtures, so 3 tomorrow would be 7 points from 12 and not far from the speculated 2 points per game.

If he manages a few quality signings then so much the better we do however need to be aware that as we can't score we can't afford to conceed.

Are we seriously going to have this type of thread every season? Our points total after 46 games will determine our final position. Nothing we say here will affect it.

Are we seriously going to have this type of thread every season? Our points total after 46 games will determine our final position. Nothing we say here will affect it.

Yep I guess we are going to.

It's the way of the world, well the way of a football forum.

Realistically folks I think the final playoff positions will go right to the wire.
feck me, there's a blast from the past! hope all's well with you and yours BB! :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669