3rd ODI: The Clone Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on leave this week and was looking forward to watching this one. But it was all over by the time I got up
:icon_sad: :icon_sad:

FFS:mad: Makes the Ashes seem a distant memory. We will get slaughtered in the WC at this rate.

Fox From The Hudd said:
Only Strauss, Freddie and Geraint Jones from The Ashes team playing though........

Exactly. Hardly got our first XI playing in this latest ODI have we. Tresco, Vaughan, Pietersen, Giles, Simon Jones and Harmison would walk into the team.

Yes, but lets face it we haven't done well in years even with a full team. Do you know how many overseas series we've won since 1992 apart from against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe? None, aside from the 'Hollioake' Sharjah cup.

To be fair, India are a good one day side who are very difficult to beat in conditions which are rather alien to English cricketers.

I don't think theres any disgrace in losing considering we have a few players missing and we're away from home.

There are a few frustrating things though. We don't seem to be learning from our experiences. We don't seem to be learning the techniques that are needed to play one day games, such as building innings, getting the most runs from the last 10 overs, taking early wickets and being able to bowl tightly at the end.

Oh, and why on earth are we playing two keepers?

I would go with this team for the next ODI
Strauss
Solanki
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
*Flintoff
+Jones
Batty
Blackwell
Anderson
Hoggard

CM said:
I
Oh, and why on earth are we playing two keepers?

Because Fletcher has an unhealthy loyalty to Geraint Jones??

If Prior is good enough to open the innings :)102: ) - then he should keep wicket. It was obvious when we lost Pietersen for the last match we could have vastly improved the batting by picking Solanki and Bell and dropping Jones.

Jones was brought into the team because it was believed he had the ability to be a top 6 international batsman.

If you look at his record he is nowhere near achieving that - plus his keeping continues to be very ordinary.

I agree that Jones isn't good enough but I think he takes a lot of excessive abuse. Some people give the impression that replacing him will singlehandedly solve all of England's problems. I think there are very few games where you can say that another keeper would have made a difference.

Infact, looking at the scorecards. Jones has came in at 100/6, 174/5 and 117/5.

I think our top 5 has to shoulder a lot of the blame. I think that Trescothick is our only world class ODI batsman. He can play any type of innings while Pietersen and Flintoff are quite one dimensional. Collingwood, Strauss, Vaughan and Solanki all have average records. Bell has impressed me in the OD games he has played in but it seems like Fletcher doesn't rate him as a one day batsman.

I don't think Jones is the reason for all our ills it's just the blind faith in him - but maybe that's why the team have performed so well generally over the last few years - great team spirit etc.

On the other batsmen I agree Solanki is not enough though I do think Colly and Strauss have what it takes.

Vaughany has never done it at ODI level and it maight be a good idea for hin to give it up and concentrate on test cricket.

Bell I'm not sure about - has bags of talent but very inconsistent.

Team for me would be (for World Cup)

Tres
Strauss
Bell/Shah
Pietersen
*Flintoff
Colly
Prior (wk)
Blackwell
Simon Jones
Harmy
Hoggy

Last edited:
Fox From The Hudd said:
I don't think Jones is the reason for all our ills it's just the blind faith in him - but maybe that's why the team have performed so well generally over the last few years - great team spirit etc.

On the other batsmen I agree Solanki is not enough though I do think Colly and Strauss have what it takes.

Vaughany has never done it at ODI level and it maight be a good idea for hin to give it up and concentrate on test cricket.

Bell I'm not sure about - has bags of talent but very inconsistent.

Team for me would be (for World Cup)

Tres
Strauss
Bell/Shah
Pietersen
*Flintoff
Colly
Prior (wk)
Blackwell
Simon Jones
Harmy
Hoggy

I dont think Blackwell is the answer for a spinner. Our spinners are not good enough for international level. I think all kids with decent eye for spin should be sent to academy immediately.

Hazzman said:
I dont think Blackwell is the answer for a spinner. Our spinners are not good enough for international level. I think all kids with decent eye for spin should be sent to academy immediately.

can we just stick one of those Merlin machines in the middle? wouldnt that be easier?

I wouldn't have Blackwell in either. Theres no point having a player who can bat a bit and bowl a bit at international level. They just get found out by quality players and hence hardly ever contribute to the team. If either their batting or bowling is not up to international level they shouldn't be in the team. I hate these bit part players.

We lack a real quality spinner, especially on the one day stage, so IMO we should not pick one for the sake it, Blackwell is a bits and pieces cricketer and should be nowhere near the international squad.

IMO the series against India is a dead duck, we have nothing to lose so we may as well use it to allow the likes of Mahmood, Kabir Ali and Jimmy Anderson gain experience, the problem is the world cup is not too far away and many of these players were picked with that in mind, so we have to peservere with the long term plan.

My team for the last 4 games would be :

Strauss
Prior
Shah or Bell
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Mahmood or Plunkett
Kabir Ali
Hoggard
Anderson

Also though lets not forget we are still a decent test side and IMO that it is more important than the one dayers.

Last edited:
My team for the world cup would be as follows

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintoff
G Jones
A Giles (If fit)
S Jones
Harmison
Hoggard

Hazzman said:

We have to play a spinner on Indian pitches even in ODIs - look how successful Indian part timers like Yuvraj has been? In terms of runs conceded per over Blackwell has been our most successful bowler so far.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669