42 inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
SWMBO needs to buy a 42" TV for one of her workplaces and has turned to me for advice. Now I have never lived anywhere that would take anywhere near that big, so I'm turning to you.

I presume that she should be thinking about plasma rather than LCD but what other advice would you give (other than to check quidco before purchasing!). Are there any brands that she should particularly look at? Are there any brands she should particularly avoid?

It's for a residential home so they'll probably want to connect a DVD player (or are they integated these days?) but I doubt if they will have the energy for one of those Wiiiiii-thingees.

Any advice?

LG is one that i would recommend

How big an issue is money?

Last edited:
LG is one that i would recommend

I presume that is a joke. I was roundly castigated for buying an LG product a few years ago and it duly permanently expired just about a mionth after the warranty expired.

Last edited:
I presume that is a joke. I was roundly castigated for buying an LG product a few years ago and it duly permanently expired just about about a mionth after the warranty expired.

Spanky is obsessed with LG......:icon_wink

How big an issue is money?

I think reliability is likely to be more important than anything else. Not sure if they will need things like top-quality HD. They don;t usually buy the cheapest of anything but won't want to pay silly money.

In all honesty Boc, my grandaddy bought a 42"er and didn't pay all that much, but the quality isn't great. The problem is you still only have the same lines/pixels as a 32" but over a larger area, so you are bound to get some pixelation. The noticeablility of the pixelation is what you pay extra for, in my humble opinion. I'd go into Comet, Dixons or Tesco and find one you like with a good picture and then buy it online.

I would recommend...
Sony
Pioneer
Panasonic

I wouldn't recomend
LG
Any of the other 'cheap' brands

I would recommend...
Sony
Pioneer
Panasonic

I wouldn't recomend
LG
Any of the other 'cheap' brands

I'v never had an LG tv, but have other appliances by them which have been good and reliable. Is it the brand in general that you don't rate, or just the TVs?

I'v never had an LG tv, but have other appliances by them which have been good and reliable. Is it the brand in general that you don't rate, or just the TVs?

Their TV's can be very good but it's very hit and miss and often they can be nothing short of atrocious. It's certainly not worth the risk when you are talking 42 inch money. Some of their other stuff is very good, white god for instance are generally good.

Yet strangely LG make most pc monitor screens (and I think it is the same for TVs) even the ones by other brands or so ive been told anyway.

Yet strangely LG make most pc monitor screens (and I think it is the same for TVs) even the ones by other brands or so ive been told anyway.

Was more the case with old style TV's, there were only 3 manufacturers of TV tubes in the world then, LG was one of them. It's still true to say LG make the screens for most of the cheaper brands, and some of the supposedly dearer/better ones ie Toshiba, hence them not being on my recommend list :)

Last edited:
I did see a 42" on disqworld the other day £150 i think HDTV

Oi knock off nigel, Boc has already stated he wants something reliable etc. This sounds very unreliable at £150, and in anycase I find it remarkable that one is being sold at such a price. It must have the screen and outside casing missing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670