A League

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipes

Hi all,
currently in australia on my gap year, hence not having posted for quite a while.
went to see sydney fc last night, thought i'd tell u about the match

first of all it cost 25dollars for the best seats in the ground - top tier, in line with the halfway line. thats about 11 pounds! sydney were playing central coast mariners. sydney won 5-1.

the ground had 3 stands, and a big colour screen behind one end of the ground where there was no seats, i would guess it held about 15,000. the attendance was about 10,000 which i think is quite good for a 'soccer' game, as its not greatly popular over here.

sydney had ex-fox steve corica playing for them! he was wearing no.10. was really quite good. reasonably pacy, and completely controlled the game for sydney and i thought he was the best player on the pitch, apart from maybe their striker, sasha petrovic or something, who scored a well taken hatrick. of course dwight yorke was playing for sydney. boy did the home (sydney were away) fans not like him. they booed him every time he got the ball, and the opposition players went in so hard on him. this was due to him 'diving' after 5 minutes and getting the central coast defender sent off and winning a penalty, which he took well and scored. he was so badly targeted by all fans and players that he was pretty innefective and was taken off after half time.

the atmosphere was pretty good, lots of families there.the end behind the goal was packed with fans chanting for either team (seperate supporters wernt segregated) i would go so far as saying that the standard wasnt really that good. first half in particular there was lots of balls over the top from both sides.

as well as steve corica, i believe there was another player with a very loose leicester connection playing - again for sydney fc - jacob timpano. i think he was on trial here pre-season but we decided not to sign him. he looked pretty decent and didnt do much wrong.

entertainment wise the game was pretty good, obviously it had 6 goals, and they were all pretty good quality.

not sure the 'a league' is catching on too well in oz though, its gets a bit of publicity, but its main problem i think is that its rights for viewing on tv are all on pay tv (sky equivilent) and so not many people who arent already interested in it are going to see it and become interested. im saying this in terms of most sports all being on terrestrial tv, and with 'soccer' being behind games like aussie rules, both codes of rugby, cricket, motorsport and probably some more sports, in terms of popularity over here, i cant see it catching on. that is, unless they beat uruguay in the world cup qualifiers and that gathers some interest

hope that all wasnt too boring and worthwhile to some of u!

will be on more again when im back after christmas

pipes

:038:
Cheers pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584