Academickeytake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Elsby

With all the speculation about who Levein might bring in during January I'd like to ask a simple question and hope not to get a Blunkett answer ... what is City's Youth Academy for?

I have always been under the impression that it is fueled by youngsters spotted by the club's scouting network who then progress under expert tuition to the point where they are either good enough for the City team and/or good enough to be sold on.

And yet, reading post after post it all seems a pretty barren landscape.
Tommy Wright was mentioned in despatches but hardly glittered under the arclights of the senior stage.

Spearman's been acclaimed but is clearly not regarded as better than the likes of Dabizas which doesn't sound too promising.

Heath has just about made some sort of grade but barely one other name has been mentioned. So what the hell is going on?

Are the scouts crap or are the coaches crap?.

Levein has his own team of coaches now and I trust he's reviewed his scouting network so I hope he has set some pretty demanding productivity targets for his "youth workers".

Others, United, Arsenal, Crewe, manage it year after year after year.

The problem is the system seems to give too many ex-players a coaching qualification they really don't deserve because their communication skills and motivational abilities are diabolocal.

Hopefully City will demand some excellence in this department at long last because it really is an important element in our club's future wellbeing.

And the only measure of that excellence is a conveyor belt of genuinely talented, trained and dedicated young players feeding the first team at the rate of at least two or three a season.

The local Press could help by giving added focus to this side of things. Youth and reserve team football is largely ignored by the Press but is, to a considerable extent, a barometer of the health of our club.

And if these sections are not being productive, the local Press should bloody well say so and demand to know why.

Faced with a shortage of players in certain first team departments we shouldn't be asking, who's selling who but who's coming through?

I know where you're coming from, Mr E, but you might be being a tad harsh.

We have a set of young players who are lurking about in the background, and have had for some time. The problem is we have absolutely no idea how good they are, or how bad they are.
They have never been given the opportunity to show it, thanks to the blinkered short termist ideology of a certain M. Adams esq.

The gentle introduction of Stearman, Dawson, Wright etc. into the squad has never taken place, in the way that it does at all bigger clubs. For proof of that check out the respective line ups at Old Trafford last night in a League Cup quarter final.
Only Tommy was given a sniff for us in a meaningless second round game. What a pitiful message that sent out. What chance have our lads had ?

Tommy has had a rare chance here, a rare chance there. Stearman came on once (and played virtually in midfield). Dawson has had no chance at all. The others can be forgiven for giving up altogether

Fact is our academy could be an absolute waste of space, and everyone in it is complete and utter cack.
BUT it could be that it is a true centre of excellence that has helped to develop a few lads who could outstanding first team players in years to come

I suspect Levein is not so short sighted a gimp as his predecessors, and will give them a fair crack at first team football.

Then we will see the truth

Part of the satisfaction of being a fan is watching a youngster progress from academy / reserves / first team.

However, the current climate, especially in the premiership, appears to be 'buy buy buy'.

Then you are faced with the situation where Liverpool reserves played last night in the Carling and these 'youngsters' were aged from early to mid 20's. They should be established players at that age, especially now that a striker/midfielder is considered past their best at 30!

The problem this lack of apportunity brings is the nightmare that Scotland are experiencing.

Need a sense of realism here.

Agreed in recent seasons little has come from the Academy into the 1st team, however Stearman couldn't have progressed any quicker, it was only year 1 of the Academy last season & he became a reserves regular towards the end of last season.

He has had a full contract nearly a year ahead of time, expecting too much too soon in his case to be a regular alternative at the back.

I think CL is protecting Stearman anyway. CL knows what it is to be a good class defender and wants to look after a kindred spirit for as long as possible so that he can have the type of career CL never quite had. :wink:

Protecting him from what exactly? OK playing him week in week out might not be a great idea but it would be good to see him on the bench.Having said that I have faith in CL and when he believes Stearman is ready then he'll play him,its just that players can be over protected.It could also be that Stearman isn't as good as we all think he is. :(

highland fox said:
Protecting him from what exactly?

Putting too much stress on that lanky frame. I hope he is as good as we hope. :wink:

he's still very young, defenders are always older than midfielders/strikers when there at there best IMO

Steven said:
highland fox said:
Protecting him from what exactly?

Putting too much stress on that lanky frame.
And very wise that is too. Forest tried to ease Michael Dawson in gently but he was just so impressive that he became undroppable. As a result he played too much first-team football too young and has developed a chronic proneness to injury. As you say, the tall lads tend to take more strain and need to be protected all the more.

Steven said:
I think CL is protecting Stearman anyway. CL knows what it is to be a good class defender and wants to look after a kindred spirit for as long as possible so that he can have the type of career CL never quite had. :wink:

You may be right which begs the question: why do Leicester feel the need to so protect their youngsters that they don't get any meaningful first team experience while teams I mentioned like Manchester United, Arsenal and Crewe cannot wait to pitch their players into the proper fray, albeit a bit at a time.

If the first two mentioned can sideline top internationals in the name of responsible (and vital) youth development why can't we make some space among our modest line-up?

In recent weeks the folly of City's policy has been shown to be all but irresponsible because we had inadequate goalkeeper cover, we've got inadequate striker options and we've got no-one to sell when we need an injection of cash.

Truth is I don't think the youngsters are there because, otherwise, fans on the forum would be banging their drum and the management couldn't wait to have a shirt or two ready for them.

Up to now City have shown they would rather sign journeymen than make the real effort needed to develop their own players and I say that because the output of real quality has been dire in recent seasons.

Hopefully, along with so many other things, this will change - and change quickly. If the coaches are good enough and if the scouts know what they are looking for.

Stearman is only 17, remember

John Terry made his first team debut at 18, so did Ledley King (I think)

Its good to see Levein is going to the reserve games though! If they are good enough they will play...sooner or later the cream always rises to the surface! :) :wink:

Citys so called Academy

Unfortunately for citys academy and many more aronud the country they will never get the chance of signing any of the young talent out there that gets spotted at a young age due to the larger clubs like manu, arsenal, chelsea etc. This is not due to our academy being poor more the fact of money and appeal to youngster being able to say they play for man u's academy rather than their local smaller clubs academy.
With first hand experience of citys academy for the past 2 1/2 years i can honestly say we have one of the best setups in the country and that is known throughout football, unfortunately we dont have the appeal or the money to give these youngsters pro contracts at the age of 16 to bring them to our club.
My nephew has been with citys scholarship now for 2 1/2 years and was the brightest prospect coming through when he signed, his only problem was the fact that Micky Adams was the manager. He has been a regular for the reserves since his first year and beleive me that does not mean that they are being watched all the time, sometimes it is due to the manager not wanting to put out his cherished first team players even if they havent played the previous Saturday. This was evident at the start of this season before the departure of the fore mentioned Mr Adams, when in one game at Kettering city could only muster four subs and two of those were schoolboys due to there being an injury crisis in the academy and not one first team player was on show.
I only wish that Craig Levein could have arrived a little earlier and had a chance to see these academy players before some of the older first team players, who are only seeing out their final pro years, were signed. I understand that Craig Levein is very impressed with what we have got in the academy which is evident with the introduction of Stephen Dawson, who i believe is going to be as good as weve had at city for many years if only he gets a proper chance. As for my nephew he is on the fringes of getting a chance, hopefully he will before his third year runs out and from what i have seen of him since the new coaches have arrived i think he fully deserves a chance.
I hope Craig Levein will dedicate a bit more time for the academy, unlike MR ADAMS and we see alot more of these kids coming through, at least we might see abit of fight out there on the pitch, cause i believe they will add inspiration and energy to the team if only to further there careers which at the end of the day that is what football is all about.
I seem to think that once a player is established its all about the money from there on in and once they have a recognised name they are then automatically first choice in front of these youngsters, although from what ive seen lately these youngest need a bit of experiance and they will be as good as what were paying 12000 pound aweek for.

MARK

I wonder whether "MARK" is Pet Rescue or not. :? :? :? In any case I hope that with the staff we now have that they will try to bring on younger players and get those elusive 2 players a year Mr Elsby wants into the first team squad. :wink:

Its all looking positive so far! Levein goes to the games, he put Dawson on the Bench...and hopefully this will continue to grow and develop. If they are good enough I believe that they will play, however, we need to give Levein time. He has been here for a month...hardly enough time to establish a lastin opinion of players. I'm sure before long he will have established opinions on what will/won't work.

On the Petrescu thing...whether it is or isn't him it doesn't really matter. :wink:

Steven said:
I wonder whether "MARK" is Pet Rescue or not. :? :? :? In any case I hope that with the staff we now have that they will try to bring on younger players and get those elusive 2 players a year Mr Elsby wants into the first team squad. :wink:
Unfortunately im not tommi petrescu if that is who you were referring to, he was released 6 weeks ago so he could go back to finland and concentrate on his education, again another good player whos promising career was stalled by management, if only they looked at some videos of his many international games of which he was first choice for his country, does that not say something!!!!!.
I am Aarran Butchers uncle and have tryed my hardest to help him to get where he needs to be, so i do see quite alot of the things that go on in the academy and the things that dont go on. I am quite close to Dawson and Logan aswell and as ive told them all, wait for a while and let Craig Levein sort out his first team then he will concentrate more time on the youngsters as he has at hearts. Heres hoping they all get there chance because some of them do deserve it,.

sarahk said:
Steven said:
Unfortunately im not tommi petrescu if that is who you were referring to, he was released 6 weeks ago so he could go back to finland and concentrate on his education, again another good player whos promising career was stalled by management, if only they looked at some videos of his many international games of which he was first choice for his country, does that not say something!!!!!.
I am Aarran Butchers uncle and have tryed my hardest to help him to get where he needs to be, so i do see quite alot of the things that go on in the academy and the things that dont go on. I am quite close to Dawson and Logan aswell and as ive told them all, wait for a while and let Craig Levein sort out his first team then he will concentrate more time on the youngsters as he has at hearts. Heres hoping they all get there chance because some of them do deserve it,.

From what I've heard of Petrescu, City should turn up on the kids doorstep in Finland with a grovelling apology for wasting so much of his time and showing so little faith and should do whatever it takes to get him back. If it means bringing a teacher or two with him then that as well.

If they can't get kids like him through to fruition what on earth are the people responsible doing calling themselves coaches.

Tony Elsby said:
sarahk said:
Steven said:

From what I've heard of Petrescu, City should turn up on the kids doorstep in Finland with a grovelling apology for wasting so much of his time and showing so little faith and should do whatever it takes to get him back. If it means bringing a teacher or two with him then that as well.

If they can't get kids like him through to fruition what on earth are the people responsible doing calling themselves coaches.

From what I've heard (and seen on Belvoir St a few Saturday nights) we should turn up on his doorstep with the number of the local pub and pizza take away.

sarahk said:
Steven said:

There was a poster called Mark who was a champion of the Academy and with your name being Mark and the poster being sarahk this has led to some confusion.

I think we would all like some Academy players to come through to the First team.

As they have not played in the First team, is that because the Manager will not play the younger players or are the players are good enough. Either way I do feel they will get a chance if good enough under CL.

If you want better quality players to go to the Academy in the first place, then the First team need to be a better side to attract the better younger players. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669