Accessing WinXP from PC that won't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

A friend has a laptop that won't boot into XP, nor will it boot into safe mode - it just keeps going so far and then rebooting.

A bit of research shows that one possible cause is SP3. I need to rename a file in the windows/system32/drivers folder. The problem is, how to get there and do it.

I have booted with a Linux LiveCD and can find the file I want but can't then rename it. Seems like I don't have the right permissions even though I have tried to change the file attributes from within Linux. Is this a windows caused lockout?

I have got a Win98 StartUp Cd but when I get to the A: prompt I can't then find windows. I've tried all drives from b: to z: but the nearest I get is the recovery partition on c: rather than the main partition.

I have a copy of 'Ultimate Boot CD' which contains various utilites but none seem to do what I want.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks.

A friend has a laptop that won't boot into XP, nor will it boot into safe mode - it just keeps going so far and then rebooting.

A bit of research shows that one possible cause is SP3. I need to rename a file in the windows/system32/drivers folder. The problem is, how to get there and do it.

I have booted with a Linux LiveCD and can find the file I want but can't then rename it. Seems like I don't have the right permissions even though I have tried to change the file attributes from within Linux. Is this a windows caused lockout?

I have got a Win98 StartUp Cd but when I get to the A: prompt I can't then find windows. I've tried all drives from b: to z: but the nearest I get is the recovery partition on c: rather than the main partition.

I have a copy of 'Ultimate Boot CD' which contains various utilites but none seem to do what I want.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks.

You need a linux flavour that supports NTFS, I would think thats the issue with accessing the folder. I looked at something like this a few months ago but cant remember the linux flavour that supports NTFS off the top of my head.

You need a linux flavour that supports NTFS, I would think thats the issue with accessing the folder. I looked at something like this a few months ago but cant remember the linux flavour that supports NTFS off the top of my head.

All modern Linux kernals support NTFS, albeit only in 'read only' mode. I think I've finally found some instructions on how to access this via Linux though so thanks for helping put me on the right track again.

Just use UBCD, open an Explorer window, browse down to the file you want and rename it.

Just use UBCD, open an Explorer window, browse down to the file you want and rename it.

My bad - just checked and it wasn't UBCD that I had but a similar one. Looked at the UBCD webpage and this sounds like it is a must have. Thanks for the pointer Macky.

JUst one extra question Macky - I've not tried this one yet (can't find an ISO, just an exe) but noticed on the other one that the utilities are all DOS based and DOS can't cope with an NTFS drive can it?

Some of the older, less elegant, boot discs consisted of just command line utilities, they could be awkward to use but can handle NTFS no problem.
The boot disc that I linked to has mainly GUI based apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670