Acoustic guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie_d123

Always wanted to learn to play and missus as agreed to let me have one an even payfor it. Anyone have any advice what to get as a beginer?

Buy a bass, much cooler;)

Teach yourself. I did. Cheaper than forking out for tuition and learning the basics isn't that hard if you stick with it, also you've not really lost anything if you decide it's not for you shortly after taking it up. Get a few books or alternatively just use the internet as a learning source.

I'd also recommend beginning with a cheap electric guitar rather than acoustic, I'd recommend a Yamaha Pacifica. Electric guitars generally have thinner fretboards with better quality fingerboards and also thinner strings meaning everything is easier to 'finger'.

Also it's worth mentioning that once you start learning guitar scales etc (more advanced stuff) and some guitar theory you can apply that to playing bass too.

One thing you do need when learning guitar, particularly on your own, is patience to stick with it when you sound like a strangled cat.

Get one that you are comfortable with and practice, practice, practice, practice and practice.

After that you should practice, practice, practice and practice some more.

Enjoy. :)

De acuerdo mucho.

But seriously, just get something basic and cheap to learn on. There's no point spending serious wonga unless you really get into it. Go to somewhere like SoundControl on Humberstone Gate and they'll give you some help.

My son has been using this place for 15 years. They are very helpful, dont rip you off and can even offer lessons. Used to be a guy called Julian do the lessons.. shit hot guitar player.

Is this the old Academy of Sound?

Yes, also I think Soundcontrol went bust in the summer and it's now called 'Reverb', though I haven't been there ina fair while. Personally I think it's cheaper to buy from somewhere like GAK.co.uk, you can save money and they have a bigger range of guitars and equipment in general. I also scan eBay if I'm after a collector's guitar or hard to find model.

Yes, also I think Soundcontrol went bust in the summer and it's now called 'Reverb', though I haven't been there ina fair while. Personally I think it's cheaper to buy from somewhere like GAK.co.uk, you can save money and they have a bigger range of guitars and equipment in general. I also scan eBay if I'm after a collector's guitar or hard to find model.

True but yoiu dont get the help and advice like you do with these guys.

There's a guitar studio on Aylestone Road (near the top of Cavendish Road) which gives lessons. Always seemed really busy in there, but haven't been by in a while, so not sure if it's still open :102:

There's a guitar studio on Aylestone Road (near the top of Cavendish Road) which gives lessons. Always seemed really busy in there, but haven't been by in a while, so not sure if it's still open :102:

Yeah he is still open

Is Bumfuckers on Green lane road still going?

I used to spend many a Saturday afternoon in Academy of Sound on Humberstone gate. Got my first guitar from then (entry level Black fender squire strat), my bass (session pro) and my current guitar (fender telecaster beauty £600 ish)

Also got my 8 track from there. Always very helpful.

Just buy a second hand acoustic for around £60 - if you like playing then you'll spend more ona better axe, if you don't like it you haven't lost much dosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566