Adams' Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

To be honest with you I think Adams made some decent signings in his time here and only time will tell if Craig Levein thinks so too.

Peter Canero, Lilian Nalis, David Connolly, Danny Tiatto, Gareth Williams to name a few. Even, my first impressions of the elusive Lee Morris have been good so far.

Who do you think was Adams' best signing and why.

Personally I think Canero could turn out to be a great purchase especially now that we have a fellow scot at the helm.

Joe_Fox said:
To be honest with you I think Adams made some decent signings in his time here and only time will tell if Craig Levein thinks so too.

Peter Canero, Lilian Nalis, David Connolly, Danny Tiatto, Gareth Williams to name a few. Even, my first impressions of the elusive Lee Morris have been good so far.

Personally I think Canero could turn out to be a great purchase especially now that we have a fellow scot at the helm.

Shame he did not know how to play in the team. :roll:

Steven said:
Joe_Fox said:

Shame he did not know how to play in the team. :roll:

Yes, I agree but you must say, some of his signings were top notch.

Joe_Fox said:

I agree with you, at the start of the season everyone was saying how good a job Micky had done in terms of signings...and I honestly thought like everyone else that we were good enough to win the league. Sadly that hasn't come true but, I still believe that Dickov, Connolly, Scumica, Nalis, Tiatto, Canero, etc were good signings

he did make some good signings especially when we were promoted.

Bent, Ferdinand, Thatcher, Scimeca, Nalis, Freund, Canero, Dabizas (IMO)

and he managed to bring in some talent this year too even after relegation

Connolly, Tiatto, Gudjonsson, Williams

But the fact is he unfortunately couldn't get them playing well enough as a team.

SilverFox, u say Micky signed Dickov.....i thought Harry Bassett signed Dickov and Deane in his short spell as manager? Can anybody varify this because I am sure it was Bassett that signed him:?:

Disco_Dave said:
SilverFox, u say Micky signed Dickov.....i thought Harry Bassett signed Dickov and Deane in his short spell as manager? Can anybody varify this because I am sure it was Bassett that signed him:?:
im pretty sure your right disco_dave

step said:
drummindefender said:
Bent was the best signing he ever made

The problem was we did not get the best out of bent

Sadly that could be said for a number of other players. :? :?

Grammar Police: Adams's Signings, not Adams' Signing, unless there is more than one of him. :shock:

:wink:

ETA: Forgot about his tendency to talk about himself in the 3rd person :eek: :roll:

Leigh said:
Grammar Police: Adams's Signings, not Adams' Signing, unless there is more than one of him. :shock:

:wink:

ETA: Forgot about his tendency to talk about himself in the 3rd person :eek: :roll:

The only other situation is when a singular subject ends in s or an s-sound—we add an apostrophe, but do we add an extra s or not? The informal rule is to use whatever is most convenient when spoken.

The only difficulties arise with proper nouns and you will need to check on usage — in a sense, the 'owner' of the proper noun gets to decide how it is pronounced and therefore how the apostrophe is used.

There is a football ground in Newcastle that goes by the name of Saint James' Park and a park in London's West End called Saint James's Park. The apostrophe and the s tell you how the two places are pronounced.

Personally I always say St James's for the Newcastle ground, but the point is on the pronunciation :wink:

Leigh said:
Bit of a descriptivist ay Steven? :wink:

Having looked up what "descriptivist" means :wink: I think I am much more of a "normative, or prescriptive" grammar thinker as that was what I was taught for the languages I learnt.

However in this case of the Apostrophe S then perhaps I am descriptivist. :wink:

On reflection I think it is better to be a descriptivist in the context of this forum. :p :p :D :wink:

Leigh said:
Probably true. I think I just fancied a random nitpick :p :wink:

Well I learnt something new. :p :p :wink:

Disco_Dave said:

You are right Disco, but these signings were made towards the end of Bassetts first reign as Leicester manager, when Micky was his second in command...so I have quite cheekily accredited these signings to Micky...not a strong argument is it :lol:

Steven said:
Leigh said:

Having looked up what "descriptivist" means :wink: I think I am much more of a "normative, or prescriptive" grammar thinker as that was what I was taught for the languages I learnt.

However in this case of the Apostrophe S then perhaps I am descriptivist. :wink:

On reflection I think it is better to be a descriptivist in the context of this forum. :p :p :D :wink:

All wank at the end of the day though init?

Lboro fox said:
Steven said:
Leigh said:

All wank at the end of the day though init?

i'n'it :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670