Adding extra WiFi router to VM Superhub

Status
Not open for further replies.

spionfox

I've got a VirginMedia Superhub 2.0 but the WiFi range doesn't go as far as I would like.

According to VirginMedia, I can do this by going into 'modem mode' on the Superhub but this then disables the routing capabilities of the Superhub as well as the WiFi. That's no good as I still want the ethernet connections of the Superhub to be available.

I have an ethernet cable connected to the Superhub and I want to put my old WiFi router on the end of that connection. I can then disable WiFi on the Superhub and use it from my router.

Or at least that's the theory. I can't then seem to log in to my router to set it up. I've got the IP address of the connection (192.168.0.14) but this won't get me 'in'.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I say leave 'super'hub as it is and use your old router as an access point which is basically a network extender.

Wait for Macky for the finer details though.

I say leave 'super'hub as it is and use your old router as an access point which is basically a network extender.

That sounds like exactly what I want to do.

Hope Macky is still sober when he comes on board :icon_bigg

Yeah fingers crossed as it is not something I've done before so unsure on the details.

If you could find out the make & model number of your old router Google could help as there seems to be a lot of info about for extending the range of the VM Superhub and would probs help Macky or anyone else too. :)

You might be waiting for a while, I don't think Macky has posted for the last couple of weeks. Maybe he's defected to Foxestalk.

Right, sorted. Piece of piss in the end.

For anybody that may be interested I had to connect my laptop to the second router via Ethernet to log-in to that control panel directly to make the necessary changes - SSID, passwords etc.

Now it works fine and I have WiFi in places I never did before AND I can still use the routing capabilities of my Superhub - essential as all the other Ethernet cables start there.

My only decision now is whether or not to leave the Superhub giving WiFi access or to disable it completely. I only need it for my BatCave, the rest of the house is now covered by the new setup.

Top work spoin! :038:

Does it all run from the 1 SSID now and just show up as one network or 2 separate?

Top work spoin! :038:

Does it all run from the 1 SSID now and just show up as one network or 2 separate?

I have given the Netgear a new SSID and depending on where I am in the house, both are available with (so far) seemingly no conflicts of any kind.

I can play Candy Crush on the loo now :icon_wink

Now thats what I would have done, and plugged the router up the dogs arse, that way take the dog out and still stay connected.

You might want to change the channels of the wifi so they are different, it helps a little if they don't clash.

You might want to change the channels of the wifi so they are different, it helps a little if they don't clash.

It looks like both are set to 'AUTO'. Would that mean they would sort themselves out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363