Advice wanted - Cheapest return trip to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my railcard, the cheapest return I could get to Leicester this Friday was about £35, which I got by booking well in advance and is fairly decent IMO. If I didn't have the railcard, it would have been a damned sight more expensive. When it runs out next year, I'll be looking at at least £50 for a super off-peak return to Leicester - I always try and book singles, but it either doesn't work out that much cheaper, or I have to travel at really inconvenient times.

I wouldn't even mind that much about the money, but the service is terrible across the board in my experience. I've lost count of the amount of times I've made seat reservations and they haven't bothered to save my seat for me, the off-peak ticketing system allows a dangerous amount of people onto trains heading out of London on Friday evenings... it reminds me of those pictures of trains in India where there are people hanging off the roof. The biggest **** up they ever made that I can remember was when they apparently booked seats for the same coach twice, so there was essentially a extra coach full of people on the train that shouldn't really have been on there. They then decided to close one of the coaches as the lights were faulty. So on a train of 4 coaches, there were 6 coaches worth of people. Ludicrous.

I honestly have no qualms about trying to get hold of another railcard once I've turned 26 and if I could get away with it, I'd never pay to ride the bloody thing at all.

With my railcard, the cheapest return I could get to Leicester this Friday was about £35, which I got by booking well in advance and is fairly decent IMO.

A super off peak return with a railcard is 33.35 even if you buy it just before the train leaves. The only advantage you get by buying in advance is the seat reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00