aha, he's done a (insert player name)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vodka

i'm on a bit of a rant here

how many players can you think of where you can say "he's done a ******" ?

obviously Cruyff...it's even a verb! he's Cruyffed him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1k7DGqRF5g

he's done a Huigita...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxe4r6SjH0

a Grobelaar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp6kdehiijI&feature=PlayList&p=3E34F338C7640AA2
(that's actually a funny clip)

my mate at uni insisted there was a "Beardsley turn" which was having your back to the opponent, dummying the hoof up the pitch, but then dragging it the other way, but i think this wasn't really known outsid eof his "Toon Heroes" VHS cassette

who was that mexican who jumped past two defenders with the ball between his legs in the world cup? and who was that in the 70s who stood on the ball?

hmm

Surely doing a Cantona is attacking someone in the stands with your feet :)

Doing a Gazza?

And I had heard of the Beardsley turn before, but not convinced about it's universality

Surely doing a Cantona is attacking someone in the stands with your feet :)

Doing a Gazza?

And I had heard of the Beardsley turn before, but not convinced about it's universality

aaaah, yes...very good

the Gazza being the 1996 Scotland goal...a chip over the head and a volley? and not being squeezed in the knob by Vinny Jones, or pretending to play the flute or booking the ref and getting sent off for it

is there a name for that one where you cross the ball with the main leg and your other leg fixed, but swing the leg round the other side... i think the world needs a word

do they teach you these things :)

There's not only the Cruyff turn, but the Cruyff penalty too.

Arsenal tried that a few years back and failed miserably.

Also, I've heard goals dribbling from the half way line being described as "Maradonna-esque" see Messi's vs Osasuna a couple of years back.

Last edited:
aaaah, yes...very good

the Gazza being the 1996 Scotland goal...a chip over the head and a volley? and not being squeezed in the knob by Vinny Jones, or pretending to play the flute or booking the ref and getting sent off for it

is there a name for that one where you cross the ball with the main leg and your other leg fixed, but swing the leg round the other side... i think the world needs a word

do they teach you these things :)

I thought doing a Gazza was when the ball is running across an open goalmouth and you stretch out to reach it only to miss by millimetres. Like Gazza did vs Germany in euro 96.

I thought doing a Gazza was when the ball is running across an open goalmouth and you stretch out to reach it only to miss by millimetres. Like Gazza did vs Germany in euro 96.

that exact moment is burned on a part of my brain

:(

There's not only the Cruyff turn, but the Cruyff penalty too.

Arsenal tried that a few years back and failed miserably.

Also, I've heard goals dribbling from the half way line being described as "Maradonna-esque" see Messi's vs Osasuna a couple of years back.

aaaaah, very good. yeah and now you mention it...i always think of a penalty straight down the middle as a *Dwight Yorke* penalty, i.e. exactly where the keeper would have stood...cant rememeber who he did it against, might have even been for Villa

aaah, Maradonnaesque from his England goal (and a few others) of 86, a sort of mesmerising magnetic foot type goal, yes i'll have that

Last edited:
Talking of Barthez. Whenever I see a keeper messing about with his gloves with his boots etc. while the opposition player's about to take a penalty I always say he's doing a "Barthez".

I always reckon Muzzy's penalty at Old Trafford that time should have counted as the ref had blown the whistle. The fact that the French twat was pi$$ing about was his fault. On the retake Muzzy then lost his concentration and missed it. It was double the pain for me as I was in a box right behind that goal.

oh i could probably accept "Delap" as a verb

I remember on the Football League show, a player dribbled past a couple then lobbed the keeper from 40 yards, the commentator called it "Le Tissier-esque"

Last edited:
I suppose if a player is being a total **** it's known as doing a Wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669