AJ Harris signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
How games has he played in the past two seasons?

Are we attempting to gaining minor county status?!?

I think the County do need to be a bit careful. There have been soundings and rumours about reducing the numbers of first class counties for a couple of years ago - i recall that Ray Illingworth made some remarks in a speech in Leicestershire a few years ago advising that counties like Leics & Derbys (who seem to be on the up) need to be wary of some of the modernisers.

I fully agree with the strategy of building on a new generation of young 'home grown players (tho a number of them are not entirely home grown) but I fear that the best will get picked off by Warks & Notts etc and the quality and quantity of our English qualified imports from other counties seems to have gone down the nick and the kolpak strategy is going to get time expired irrespective of its short term merits.

Still it's a very difficult situation - the revenue lines at Grace Road are clearly very ECB dependent and it's tough. I just hope for the best.

Well, realistically we will be one of the first counties for the chop if there was a restructuring. We havent got a big ground, money, we dont produce many england players and we have one of the largest contingents of foreign players.

There used to be solidarity between the counties when people suggested a reorganisation of the country structure but recent events have changed this. The two division structure has seen the cream rise to the top, the increase in importance of money has meant that teams with test grounds have an enormous advantage over the minnows and also the increase in county transfers has seen the better players move to the bigger counties.

I get the impression that test match counties now see the likes of Leics, Derby and Northants as a burden now. The T20 explosion has perhaps seen the pivotal turning point with counties like Lancashire and Hampshire now visably shouting for 'franchises' and an EPL. It doesnt take a genius to figure out that if Notts and Leics merged or Yorkshire and Derby did, where they would end up playing.

Giles Clarke the current head of the ECB is definitely pro-counties so we have a few more years of safety. We need to use those years to pull ourselves together. This four U25 english rule is a start but we also really need the support of the ECB and wide ranging rule changes if we want to hang onto our young players :icon_sad:

I would guess that if T20 continues its upwards curve then its inevitable that we will be sidelined from that competition. It would take quite a bold and unlikely move to see us scrapped from first class cricket any time soon though.

Giles Clarke the current head of the ECB is definitely pro-counties so we have a few more years of safety. We need to use those years to pull ourselves together. This four U25 english rule is a start but we also really need the support of the ECB and wide ranging rule changes if we want to hang onto our young players :icon_sad:

I agree with the drift of all your points. What I'm not so clear about is what strategies are available to "pull ourselves together".

When I manage to watch a county championship game, I marvel that such fixtures still take place much in the same way as when i went to Grace Road as a kid many years ago - just as then full time professionals playing in front of maybe 300 hundred mainly elderly people. The whole thing feels like being in a time warp or an oasis from real life. To be honest I love it...but i wonder how long it can carry on like that.

I'm not entirely convinced that the T20 will retain its public and financial appeal. 20 overs cricket is nothing new - it's been the basis for club evening cricket/ club youth cricket for as long as I can remember....but I suppose it's something we have to look to build on as part of the survival and hopefully development strategy and I think that Leics need to start by trying to sure that we are a bit more competitive in the format next season.

How games has he played in the past two seasons?

Are we attempting to gaining minor county status?!?

Part of this will be to reduce our reliance on Kolpaks. County have said he is there to support the younger seamers. Hardly inspiring though.

I presume Du Preez will be staying, but I hope for goodness he can play 2 games in a row next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669