Alan Pardew in Rape ScandAl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alan Pardew in Rape Scandel.

When that's a "scandal", it's a sad, sad world we live in...

Oh wait..

Re: Alan Pardew in Rape Scandel.

I thought it was hilarious, and highly amusing that they've made him apologise

i thought nothing of it when it was on, ive heard used as a metaphor for beating someone so many times, it just passed straight by me

This country has gone mad, he didn't say anything wrong at all - and besides, it must surely have been past the watershed.

This country has gone mad, he didn't say anything wrong at all - and besides, it must surely have been past the watershed.

It's nothing to do with the watershed. For somebody in his position to use the word so incorrectly and inappropriately is offensive in the extreme. How can he count what he saw alongside a serious sexual offence? To do so is to aggravate the trauma for every man and woman who ever has been raped.

This was not just lazy use of language; it was inexcusable thoughtlessness and ignorance.

to use the word so incorrectly and inappropriately is offensive in the extreme. How can he count what he saw alongside a serious sexual offence?

I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable on sources but it is usually correct:

"The word rape itself originates from the Latin verb rapere: to seize or take by force. The word originally had no sexual connotation and is still used generically in English."

Essien seized the ball by force - he said nothing wrong at all.

I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable on sources but it is usually correct:

"The word rape itself originates from the Latin verb rapere: to seize or take by force. The word originally had no sexual connotation and is still used generically in English."

Essien seized the ball by force - he said nothing wrong at all.

If you really believe that, there is sadly nothing that anybody will be able to say to make you change your mind.

Does Wikipedia have an explanation for the abbreviation 'GIGO'?

If you really believe that, there is sadly nothing that anybody will be able to say to make you change your mind.

I also use the word quite often in a non-sexual connotated way - normally when referring to football.

It means two things - so why not use it for one of the definitions just because the other one is deemed to be offensive? As long as it's in context, which Alan Pardew's comment was, then it is fine.

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

I also use the word quite often in a non-sexual connotated way - normally when referring to football.

It means two things - so why not use it for one of the definitions just because the other one is deemed to be offensive? As long as it's in context, which Alan Pardew's comment was, then it is fine.

QED

:thumbs_up

I thought it was hilarious. I use the word rape to describe someone or something every so often as well and I don't see anything wrong with it, as the dictionary entry earlier in the thread proves there is nothing to apologise for...

It was wrong.

but worse the guy didn't even realise that the word would cause offense to most reasonable people. It is a sad reflection of the ex footballing professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669