Android App Management Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

We are considering buying a lot of tablets for school and need to be able to manage them all easily. A partner school has iPads and has software to do this but needed to buy a Mac to do so; I'd also much rather go Android for cost reasons. I am looking for something, preferably free or cheap that will allow me to manage apps on each tablet through software or a web interface, so I can install an app on all of them with one click/drag rather than going to each tablet.

Droid Manager and Air Waves seem to do it but are prohibitively expensive. Any other options?

It appears I can send apps to be installed remotely using the Play Store, this may be the easiest, free option I think. Still would prefer a better solution.

Out of interest, what way will you be using the tablets with the kids?

He doesn't mean the kind of tablets you're thinking of, Mackerooni.

All the primary school kids have already got plenty of those kind of tablets, bad language and party drugs, they're all at it.

Out of interest, what way will you be using the tablets with the kids?

There are a few good apps for teaching maths to small groups, kindle etc. I'm not convinced they are needed but the head thinks they are a good idea so I'm tasked with sourcing the best ones.

There are a few good apps for teaching maths to small groups, kindle etc. I'm not convinced they are needed but the head thinks they are a good idea so I'm tasked with sourcing the best ones.

Righton, and if there was a killer app that would be really useful for you as a teaching app, what would be your requirements for it? What sort of functionality would be useful to you?

It depends on how many devices you have and how advanced you want your management system to be.

Does it have to be Android?

The new Windows 8.1 tablets are priced very competitively now and run full blown windows, well 32-bit, as oppose to RT so you get a full PC experience but on a tablet. Was thinking they may integrate better with your existing IT infrastructure?

Does it have to be Android?

The new Windows 8.1 tablets are priced very competitively now and run full blown windows, well 32-bit, as oppose to RT so you get a full PC experience but on a tablet. Was thinking they may integrate better with your existing IT infrastructure?
Possibly, what's the app store like? Never used it myself.

Me neither as I've not got one yet, they seem to be taking a while to land over here but very good reviews from over the pond.

The advantage is though that they run a full OS so you are not restricted to what is available through app stores, they should run normal windows programs available for your normal laptop/desktop providing they work on Win 8.1.

Dell should have their Venue Pro 8 available soon which may be a good option if you already use them to supply existing kit but others available are the Toshiba Encore, Lenovo Miix2 and probs a few others if you search around but they seem to be the pick of 8" devices.

I'm hoping to get one over Christmas so no real experience but thought they'd be worth a mention as they haven't had much coverage but seem very able products and very versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566