Ants

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedfoxxx

About an hour ago I went to use our downstairs loo to find that the room was full of flying ants of varying sizes. My girlfriend has been in all day and said that they weren't there earlier. I've massacred a good hundred or so with antibac spray. Some really fat bastards and some tiny little ones that I'm guessing have just hatched.

They were concentrated around the plug hole in the sink and in a gap in an internal wall around a pipe. And I was going to get around to filling that hole and box the pipe in this weekend dear I promise.....

There hasn't been any movement since the spraying. Has anyone got any advice? Is it a nest? Will there likely be more? Cheers.

Having waged war against about 100 ants nests surrounding my property for the last decade I can give you only one piece of advice that is worthwhile.

Ants are cleverer than humans. Move out.

Having waged war against about 100 ants nests surrounding my property for the last decade I can give you only one piece of advice that is worthwhile.

Ants are cleverer than humans. Move out.
I was worried that might be the case. Only just moved in as well!

There hasn't been any movement since the spraying. Has anyone got any advice? Is it a nest? Will there likely be more?

By spraying you only kill the ants that you spray. Yes, there is a nest somewhere with loads of still-alive ants and yes, they will visit tomorrow and the day after.

What you need is either to attack the nest directly - difficult if you know where the nest is and impossible if you don't. Or you need the ants to take some poison back to the nest themselves and kill the lot of them. So don't spray them and kill them; you need them alive to do your dirty work.

Flying ants are the same species as ordinary ants; they only fly during the mating season. Whereas it's quite easy to get walking ants to take poison back to the nest - you just place it in their walkway - it's more difficult with flying ants as they don't have a clearly defined route which is easy to lay the poison on. You'll need to pick somewhere they are regularly alighting and lay the poison there. We use Nippon - it comes as a gel or a powder - probably the powder is better for flying ants. Use it early in the evening at the time they will be returning to the nest for best effect.

By spraying you only kill the ants that you spray. Yes, there is a nest somewhere with loads of still-alive ants and yes, they will visit tomorrow and the day after.

What you need is either to attack the nest directly - difficult if you know where the nest is and impossible if you don't. Or you need the ants to take some poison back to the nest themselves and kill the lot of them. So don't spray them and kill them; you need them alive to do your dirty work.

Flying ants are the same species as ordinary ants; they only fly during the mating season. Whereas it's quite easy to get walking ants to take poison back to the nest - you just place it in their walkway - it's more difficult with flying ants as they don't have a clearly defined route which is easy to lay the poison on. You'll need to pick somewhere they are regularly alighting and lay the poison there. We use Nippon - it comes as a gel or a powder - probably the powder is better for flying ants. Use it early in the evening at the time they will be returning to the nest for best effect.

Thanks Boc, the immediate shock of finding the critters lead to a spraying. Is your poison of choice available in B&Q?

Thanks Boc, the immediate shock of finding the critters lead to a spraying. Is your poison of choice available in B&Q?

I've seen it recently in Tesco, Homebase and the Range. I would imagine B&Q would stock it.

Let's hope Adam doesn't show up. Then you're in real trouble.

No ant action whatsoever since Tuesday, later that night I checked in and found two absolutely enormous house spiders chilling near the scene of the massacre. Built up the courage to peak in today and there's no sign of any ants, living or dead. Weird.

No ant action whatsoever since Tuesday, later that night I checked in and found two absolutely enormous house spiders chilling near the scene of the massacre. Built up the courage to peak in today and there's no sign of any ants, living or dead. Weird.
See spiders are great for exactly that reason. Easiest way to guarantee no other creepy crawlers of almost any kind. All you have to do is make friends with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566