Asif's Potential replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashyfox

From Offical site:

LEICESTERSHIRE are taking a look at Australian pace bowler Steve Magoffin in their ongoing search for a replacement overseas player for the second half of the season.

The 26-year-old Queenslander will line up for Leicestershire’s Second XI when they take on Warwickshire in a Championship match which starts at Grace Road tomorrow.

Magoffin, who has performed well for Western Australia over the past two seasons, is currently playing club cricket in the North East and looking for an opportunity in county cricket.

They will be hoping that the 6ft 5in quick bowler will prove as much of a find as Mohammad Asif, who actually took seven wickets for Leicestershire’s Second XI in a game two years ago, a performance which led to them pursuing an interest in him.

Senior Coach Tim Boon needs to find a replacement for Asif, who joins up with the Pakistan tour party at the beginning of July.

“We are considering a number of options for the second half of the season at the moment and Steve comes highly recommended so we are going to have a look at him in this game,” commented Boon.

Magoffin will line up in the Leicestershire attack alongside Alamgir Sheriyar and Ryan Cummins in the Club’s first Second XI Championship game of the season when they face Warwickshire.

Team: A. Maiden, T. New, J. Allenby, A. Habib, S. Clark, J. du Toit, A. Naik, S. Magoffin, D. Shaw, R. Cummins, A. Sheriyar.

flashyfox said:
Team: A. Maiden, T. New, J. Allenby, A. Habib, S. Clark, J. du Toit, A. Naik, S. Magoffin, D. Shaw, R. Cummins, A. Sheriyar.

Is that first name fake? is it like a.n.other for cricket :icon_lol:

I don't understand the ways of country cricket sometimes. This guy Steve Clarke is in the Leics squad for tomorrow:
http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Players/45/45349/45349.html

No offence to him, I'm sure he's a good prospect.
But if he's a batsman how has he overtaken Tom New? And if he's a bowler why not Ryan Cummins? And if an all-rounder Jim Allenby? His stats aren't anything special.

Talk about continuity of selection.

Durham Fox said:
is it me or do the county have the most uninspiring team for the last 10/15 years?

They are not great, but this team inspires me more than the 'bus pass' gang we have had for the past 3 years. They've invested a lot in youth and although we probably won't go up this year, I think next season we could do and once we get up we will be stronger for it.

Hang on - isn't that Leicester City I just described :icon_lol:

Durham Fox said:
is it me or do the county have the most uninspiring team for the last 10/15 years?

Yes, the Country are not the most appealing team to watch. We can only help the youngsters progress, Broad is in the England development team and been signed up by the ECB, thats normally an omen he's gonna play for England soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669