Aussie cheats

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanxfox

That's rich Ponting calling England cheats - I remember New Zealand needing a 6 off the last ball to beat the Aussies and one of the Chapple brothers bowling underarm - that's what I call cheating

That's rich Ponting calling England cheats - I remember New Zealand needing a 6 off the last ball to beat the Aussies and one of the Chapple brothers bowling underarm - that's what I call cheating

Trevor Chappell under brother Greg's insturctions - ODI v New Zealand 1981.

Lets not beat around the bush, there was no need for the physio to come on, if the same would've happened for the opposite teams England too would be slamming Australia. It was an act of cheating but IMO it would not of changed the result, no need at all to do what they did; just play the game!!

It would be interesting to find out if the physio/12th man came out in 2005 when the Aussies were trying to hold out for the draw.

It is funny that the Aussies are moaning about the 2 minutes wasted by 12th man, yet went off for bad light even though they agreed to play under floodlights. Little did they know it would come back to bite them in the arse.

As for the whole 12th man scenario I actually believe what Strauss said, there is no way they would risk messing around unless Anderson did actually spill drink over his gloves.

Lets not beat around the bush, there was no need for the physio to come on, if the same would've happened for the opposite teams England too would be slamming Australia. It was an act of cheating but IMO it would not of changed the result, no need at all to do what they did; just play the game!!

Was it any more cheating than Ponting going wild over a catch that never was:102:. Lets face it Ponting does like a good whine.
I doubt any other test nation would have done anything different to what England done.
A few years ago England had a chance of what would have been a rare victory in the West Indies. The tactics used by the WI to deny England were pushing the limits of the game.
They knew with England closing in on victory their only chance was to slow the game down. Ambrose & Walsh started bowling at about 10-11 overs per hour. They took an age over field placings, the physio was constantly on, and in the end they denied England the overs that they should have had, and that would have won them the game.
Hey ho thats cricket.

Their spinner said he would have done the same, which about sums it up

Time wasting is part of cricket, just as it is in football and other sports.

The bottom line is that Australia had us 70/5 with two sessions left to bowl at us and still didnt win. The only people Ponting should be angry at are his bowlers.

It would be interesting to find out if the physio/12th man came out in 2005 when the Aussies were trying to hold out for the draw.
QUOTE]

The 12th man did come on to McGrath in 2005. Remind me who was the Australian captain then....:icon_roll

I'm sorry to say that the game has largely moved on from the time when most (certainly not all) players adhered to the undefined 'spirit of the game'. This is true in my experience at all competitive levels.

England were obviously time wasting but Ponting and everyone else does it too. I expect, he has made a big deal of it to try to make it more difficult for England to try it on during the rest of the series.

I'm sorry to say that the game has largely moved on from the time when most (certainly not all) players adhered to the undefined 'spirit of the game'. This is true in my experience at all competitive levels.

England were obviously time wasting but Ponting and everyone else does it too. I expect, he has made a big deal of it to try to make it more difficult for England to try it on during the rest of the series.

If thats the case i'd expect England to do it all the more. If it winds up the opposing captain, then they have done a job imo.
Also you would think after Pontings ramblings about sub fielders in 2005, he would learn not to bite.
Maybe the fact that you can get under the Aussie captains skin, is a weakness of the Aussie team.
It also makes me smile that a chap that goes along with the Aussie policy of ' mental disintegration ' as allowed himself to be affected

lovely stuff. adds a bit of spice to the series. If they're not allowed to sledge on the pitch they'll try it in the papers.
chill out, you're sounding like people who take wrestling seriously...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570