Being a lecturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

This is aimed for anyone in the know, possibly specifically Hector, who I think is a lecturer.

I am interested maybe now on in the future in training to be a university lecturer, and just wondered what qualifications etc where needed, and where one would get such training. Would I need a GTP or PGCE?

Cheers one and all

This is aimed for anyone in the know, possibly specifically Hector, who I think is a lecturer.

I am interested maybe now on in the future in training to be a university lecturer, and just wondered what qualifications etc where needed, and where one would get such training. Would I need a GTP or PGCE?

Cheers one and all

You appear to be under the unfortunate pretence that lecturers require the ability and qualifications to teach. How strange.

Plenty of chat to advertise your self-authored books.

Seriously the ones we have at Uni - some have Masters and some have just a degree.

And looking at - a whole load of experience in the topic they lecture in various environments.

Last edited:
Those that can do, those that can’t teach and those that really can’t lecture.

Stroke of genius that, Beights!!!

Ask the good folk of Talking Balls the requirements you'll need for a University Lecturer's position :icon_lol:

Last edited:
You need a pair of Brown Corduroy trousers for a start,they are compulsory

Cheers one and all

They usually require the ability to string an understandable sentence together.

Seriously the ones we have at Uni - some have Masters and some have just a degree.

And looking at - a whole load of experience in the topic they lecture in various environments.

Or alternatively, to have never left the university and lecture on a practical subject they have no practical experience in.

Last edited:

We had a lecturer at DeMontfort (I fully expect someone to highlight this and say "theres the problem already") who was only 27 and didn't have a pHD, so I wondered if there was anything you definately needed or if it was quite open. But thanks for the only sensible suggestion in here!

It depends on the subject, and the type of Institution you want to lecture in. For a University lectureship and in my discilpine (Plant Science), I think the route I took, and the time frame, was fairly typical: BSc and Ph.D (both at Leicester), followed by five years postdoctoral research, three in Hungary (although that was far from typical in the 1970s), followed by two in Newcastle, before landing a permanent lecturing job, here in Ireland, at the age of 29.

Its true my ability to teach was never explored - it just happens that I'm brilliant :icon_wink.

I think in most fields now a Ph.D and some postdoctoral research is needed - and it can be a tortuous path, as competition for the few permanent academic posts is intense, and mainly based on your research output (eg. published papers). I know a number of people who have held a succession of short-term postdoctoral posts, and finally given up hope at the age of about 40, and moved into something else for job security (eg. forensic science, government research labs, University technician, to give a fewrecent examples).

It depends on the subject, and the type of Institution you want to lecture in. For a University lectureship and in my discilpine (Plant Science), I think the route I took, and the time frame, was fairly typical: BSc and Ph.D (both at Leicester), followed by five years postdoctoral research, three in Hungary (although that was far from typical in the 1970s), followed by two in Newcastle, before landing a permanent lecturing job, here in Ireland, at the age of 29.

Its true my ability to teach was never explored - it just happens that I'm brilliant :icon_wink.

I think in most fields now a Ph.D and some postdoctoral research is needed - and it can be a tortuous path, as competition for the few permanent academic posts is intense, and mainly based on your research output (eg. published papers). I know a number of people who have held a succession of short-term postdoctoral posts, and finally given up hope at the age of about 40, and moved into something else for job security (eg. forensic science, government research labs, University technician, to give a fewrecent examples).

Cheers Hector, looks like I need to get meself back for a Ph.D for a start!

Cheers Hector, looks like I need to get meself back for a Ph.D for a start!

Wouldn't be so hasty Beights, in my experience as a student studying a real subject, only about half of the lecturers had a doctorate. There were a significant number that got the job as a result of experience in work. Generally, the doctorate ones do research as an extra to the lecturing, whilst the others do 'student welfare' duties.

I suspect that the research bods have higher earning capability than the welfare crowd.

(This is an an additon to Hectors post, not a dig at his job. Also the reference to real degree was to point out i did a technical degree, not an attempt to slate plant sciences which is also a technical degree)

Last edited:
Wouldn't be so hasty Beights, in my experience as a student studying a real subject, only about half of the lecturers had a doctorate. There were a significant number that got the job as a result of experience in work. Generally, the doctorate ones do research as an extra to the lecturing, whilst the others do 'student welfare' duties.

I suspect that the research bods have higher earning capability than the welfare crowd.

(This is an an additon to Hectors post, not a dig at his job. Also the reference to real degree was to point out i did a technical degree, not an attempt to slate plant sciences which is also a technical degree)

What's a "real" subject?

Not sure, anything technical for a start. Am a degree snob, i don't deny it. As an example Media studies that involves 4 hours of lectures a week, wouldn't fall into the 'real' degree catagory.
What if you intended to have a career in the media? I guess it could be pretty valuable then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669