Benji

Status
Not open for further replies.
scowcroft is a good player, was a target man being played on the wing IN THE PREMIERSHIP all through 03/04 season so you can judge him on that, hes put in some good performances this season, at leeds he was fantastic and was one of the few committed looking players in a couple of our more despondent performances this season, granted his last couple of games have been crap but when hes playing as well as he can id rather have him up front than any of the other target men at the club at present

I like benji but he isn't good enough. Sometimes he is just plain comedy. Many time I have seen him trip over himself when the ball isn't even near him. He's a comedy of errors. 100% commitment which is very good, but not a long term fix, or probably even a short term one

Country Fox said:
scowcroft is a good player, was a target man being played on the wing IN THE PREMIERSHIP all through 03/04 season so you can judge him on that, hes put in some good performances this season, at leeds he was fantastic and was one of the few committed looking players in a couple of our more despondent performances this season, granted his last couple of games have been crap but when hes playing as well as he can id rather have him up front than any of the other target men at the club at present

i agree

Country Fox said:

I disagree... and the problem is with this notion of a target man... which just implies, corners, freekicks and the (dreaded) long ball... we have yo yo'd for so long between leagues on this premise, we need to be cleverer and I think Connolly can achieve this (although his scoring record leaves a lot to be desired) with someone else who can peel away, run at defenders and create room and the ball to connolly's feet!

Scowcroft cannot do this... far too inconsistent and not a decent enough football brain or passer of the ball. We need to look at other options or Connolly will get frustrated and hand in a transfer request or lose all confidence and play second team football.

yeh fair enough we need to be more creative but im not sure if its a creative striker we need rather than a more effective midfield. also there isnt a single other striker at the club capable of doing what your after, i would love to have a clever, tricky striker who could run at defenders to partner connolly but the fact is no one out of dublin, blake, benji and scowy fall into this category so yes i would love it if we had the sort of striker your describing at the club but the fact remains that scowcroft is a good player and the best we've got at present to partner connolly

so far everyone says benji is not a long term fix. i didnt say he was. what im saying is we need a change and untill we get a new striker in are you going to stick with the three worst strikers ive seen for a while. big trev gives 100% something we all want. you all slag players off for not bothering about the club and this is one thing you cannot slag him off for. i for one am sure he would score goals if given the chance. as someone already says he's already scored 2 goals with so little chances, and conners, blake and scowcroft speak for themselves. anyone who is willing to stick with this rubbish is worst than anyone who wanted to give adams more time.

change it now

i agree benjiman while having crap technique did manage to develop quite a scoring habit last time we were in div1, hes good at bundling in scrappy goals which is maybe what we need for a few games

He's already scored 2 this season. He's played next to nothing games. We should give him a chance in the last 30 minutes of games. I would like to see Benji and Connoly upfront against rotheram. Scowy needs to be shown that he is not indespensibale to tge team.

Anybody who thinks Benji, loveable as he is, is better than Scowy or Connolly has no eyes.

Dickovforengland! said:
Anybody who thinks Benji, loveable as he is, is better than Scowy or Connolly has no eyes.

I don't think that. But have you seen Scowy in the last two games? he has been awful. Give Benji a chance, and show scowy that he will be dropped if he dont perform. :wink:

I wouldn't even do it to make a point. Trev was worse than Ade, think it was against Liverpool where had the ball about 4 yards from goal and just fell over under no pressure without managing to make contact with the ball. I hope things work out for him and don't blame him one bit for taking the cash from his contract but he aint first team material in this league.

But he was a vital part of the squad that got promoted last time, scored a couple of crucial goals, and made a couple of others

He was good enough for this league then

Short memories, Leicester fans

:roll: :roll: :roll:

yeh he didnt do a great deal for a lot of the season but in the last 3rd of it when deano was hit by injuries he filled in and did a good job, gettin 7 or 8 goals - hes got the advantage that he has nothing to lose, knows hes out of contract in the summer so will play his heart out to try get a new one or at least impress other clubs - hes not a great player but i think he could make a bit of an impact if he was thrown on as a sub or given a couple of games here and there

Blake or Trev... doesn't make much difference - same type of player both will be playing division 1 or 2 next season. This is all very short term and is only tinkering with what is rubbish anyway.

The formation needs to change (Nalis upfront) or the midfield need to change their style (i.e. a little more direct going forward, not long ball) or we won't get goals and we won't get the best out of Connolly... and at 500k we can't afford not to get the best out of him!!

Sorry but if the choise is between Blake or Trev. I would go for Trev every time. He isn’t skillful; he is just a rhino that scares the shit out of defenders and though he does not always make things happen directly. It is Trev's indirect influence that is his strength.
He works his nuts off and is reasonably quick, very strong and he is a threat that has to be dealt with by defenders, this draws the opposition players away from our other players opening up opportunities.

Place Blake on the pitch and within five minutes the defenders realise they only have to deal with him if he don’t have to move, so anything other than a perfect pass is no threat and as marking a statue is easy, Blake does not compare to Trev.

Scowie has not been up to much recently, so I would like to see Trev come on for 30 minutes and have a go. After all he did score ten goals last time at this level.

Better still lets have another striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570