Best City 11: Right Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles Away

Robbie Neilson, obviously.....

but seriously who do we have here?

Mills, Grayson were both excellent servants to the club. Sure there are some older players I'm not considering.

Wasn't [Nish] a left back?

Started off as a midfielder but settled down as a left-back.

If you're seeking a right-back from that era, you should look no further than the slide-tackler extraordinaire, Mr Peter Rodrigues.

Last edited:
Steve Whitworth.

399 starts + 1 substitute appearance for the club but the only goal he ever scored came in the Charity Shield game against Liverpool - not a first-class fixture and therefore does not show in his record.

Have only been watching since the mid-80s, but in that time Kaamark was miles away better than the rest

Might be short memory/relative youth.... but I think Kyle Naughton is one of the best right backs I've seen play for us!

I don't really remember Kaamark as a right back. Always think more of him as playing in a back 3?

399 starts + 1 substitute appearance for the club but the only goal he ever scored came in the Charity Shield game against Liverpool - not a first-class fixture and therefore does not show in his record.
A very good right back though. Scoring goals isn't necessarely the first point in a right back's job description.

A very good right back though. Scoring goals isn't necessarely the first point in a right back's job description.

I wasn't suggesting that this should disqualify him; merely filling in a bit of trivia for the not-so-old.

I wasn't suggesting that this should disqualify him; merely filling in a bit of trivia for the not-so-old.
But for the not-so-old that may have sounded a bit disqualifying. Added to the trivia; the Charity Shield game was played at Filbert Street and not at Wembley. And for some reason I can't remember, we took Arsenal's (defending League Champs) spot as they refused/couldn't (?) to play it.

Started off as a midfielder but settled down as a left-back.

If you're seeking a right-back from that era, you should look no further than the slide-tackler extraordinaire, Mr Peter Rodrigues.

Rodrigues the best right back. Whitworth also had pace and good positioning sense.

Kaamark all day long

No body has mentioned Savage's spell at right back.

...the Charity Shield game was played at Filbert Street and not at Wembley. And for some reason I can't remember, we took Arsenal's (defending League Champs) spot as they refused/couldn't (?) to play it.

The Charity Shield game has only been played at Wembley since 1974; before that it was played on the ground of the League Champions with the the FA Cup Winners as their opponents. Arsenal won the double in 1971 and could hardly play themselves in the Charity Shield and declined any alternative due to other commitments. The FA decided to invite the Second division champions to play the team that Arsenal had defeated at Wembley.

On the previous occasion of a double-winner in 1961 Spurs were invited to play an England team, masquerading as an 'FA Selected XI' - a match between club and country not being deemed as acceptable. After subsequent League and Cup doubles, the league runner-up has been invited to play the double winner.

Tommy Williams would be in my top 5.
I'd also put Gary Coatsworth above the likes of Neilson, Curtis, Maybury, Canero, Maikin. Not the most gifted of players but he was certainly a tryer, and that goal was brill ;)

Tommy Williams would be in my top 5.
I'd also put Gary Coatsworth above the likes of Neilson, Curtis, Maybury, Canero, Maikin. Not the most gifted of players but he was certainly a tryer, and that goal was brill ;)

I'd put a coat above Neilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570