Best City 11: Strikers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb5000

Time to start this thread I guess.

Sadly I just missed out on seeing Saint Gary playing for the foxes, so for me it's:

Smith - Heskey

Shame about all the potential that was shown by the Heskey-Collymore partnership, but really can't pick them from one game.

For me dead easy this one

Lineker and Smith (Alan)

Also worth considering...

Heskey
Cottee
Collymore (for about 2 games...)
Claridge (for those 2 games...)
Young (my boyhood hero - before he became a pundit...)
Roberts
Joachim
Walsh

Too young to remember Wortho though he's my avatar (a fox from the hudd...)

Last edited:
Lineker and Smith! But they need Lynex to provide them and to add to their goals. What a trio that was!

As well as the above, Allan Clarke wasn't bad, Les Ferdinand, even in his later years was a joy to watch.

Another, that if we could have had for another season, Yakubu, we may have had enough to go up.

Lineker was world class and so I have to put him as the best. If we are picking two then Frankie Wortho is my choice. Certainly Frank was the most entertaining striker Leicester have had.

Even in the 1970s Leicester were finding it difficult to get the best players. . Frank was going to join Liverpool until he failed a medical. In a way it was a tragedy for both Frank and Liverpool. Kevin Keegan was one of the best players in the world and formed a great partnership with John Toshack but Tosh was not really in Frank's class. A Worthington-Keegan partnership would have been superb.

Frank had the best one-touch of any Leicester player I have seen. I have always enjoyed his comment that "modern players trap a ball further than I could kick it."

People should remember Collymore for more than his hat-trick. I remember the last game he played for Leicester when he had had a row with the manager. I believe Stan Collymore was the only Leicester player who has deliberately played badly. Peter Taylor simply described his performance that game as unacceptable and for once Peter Taylor was right.

Yakubu and Mancini, just for the levels of excitement that I reached when we signed them.

Ian Marshall, for being the most unlikely success ever. Over the hill, scruffy old Oldham reject, putting us ahead against Athletico Madrid away in the UEFA cup.

Ian Marshall, for being the most unlikely success ever. Over the hill, scruffy old Oldham reject, putting us ahead against Athletico Madrid away in the UEFA cup.

And for being absolutely twatted every Tuesday night while I was a student in Loughborough, even though he was supposed to be a Premier League footballer at the time. Not that he was the only one though....

Tony Cottee for allowing me to rip the glory grabbing Aresholes at school to pieces.

Arnar Gunnlaugsson was easily the player I got most excited about over that wonderful period, I was always left utterly upset when he never made it on to the pitch.

I'm going to go for ----- Heskey Joachim

Lineker Worthington.

The rest aren't in the same class.

Wortho - 72 goals in 210 appearances Goal ratio: .34
Links - 95 goals in 194 appearances Goal ratio: .48
Heskey - 40 goals in 154 appearances Goal ratio: .25

Whereas The Doog - 35 goals in 68 appearances Goal ratio: .51

Are you using cock size to measure class?

Apart from the fact that all they did was score goals in leagues effectively operating without defenses. ;)
And they were allowed to push the goalkeepers into the goal or kick the ball out of their hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566