Birmingham airport by train

Status
Not open for further replies.

consty

Anyone ever been to above?
I have to fly out due to a family emergency tomorrow. There is a train (change at new st). Flight is at terminal 1. I have no idea of how easy/difficult it is via train for terminal 1. Anyone know?

Anyone ever been to above?
I have to fly out due to a family emergency tomorrow. There is a train (change at new st). Flight is at terminal 1. I have no idea of how easy/difficult it is via train for terminal 1. Anyone know?

Very easy!

Get a train to Birmingham New Street, and then get a train from New Street to Birmingham International. There will be a train, on average every 5-6 mins. The journey time is approx 10 mins.

Once at Birmingham International, it's very well signposted and you get the sky-rail link (free of charge) straight in to the airport.

And just so you know what you're looking out for, this is what the Sky-Link rail looks like :)

BHX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And just so you know what you're looking out for, this is what the Sky-Link rail looks like :)

Steptoe%20and%20Son%20Plymouth%20web.jpg

Actually Notts, I think they may have moved on a bit from there. :icon_bigg

Very easy!

Get a train to Birmingham New Street, and then get a train from New Street to Birmingham International. There will be a train, on average every 5-6 mins. The journey time is approx 10 mins.

Once at Birmingham International, it's very well signposted and you get the sky-rail link (free of charge) straight in to the airport.

Thank you!! Does this ease/speed apply to terminal 1 as well? Presumably so.
How long does this sky rail thingy link take? Didn't know about that.
My proposed journey is
Leic - B'ham 10.49-11.43
B'ham-B'ham Int 12.04-12.13
From what you are saying I need to get this sky rail at 12.13 - are they very frequent adn very quick (otherwise I may get a prior train). My flight is at 14.10, check in 12.10

My proposed journey is
Leic - B'ham 10.49-11.43
From what you are saying I need to get this sky rail at 12.13 - are they very frequent adn very quick (otherwise I may get a prior train). My flight is at 14.10, check in 12.10

can you not check in online?

My proposed journey is
Leic - B'ham 10.49-11.43

Sky-rail is said to leave the station for the terminal every two minutes with a 2-minute journey time. I am presuming that your check-in *opens* at 12:10. You should have plenty of time.

In addition to the train that you have been given, there are also trains from New Street at 11:50 and 11:53 to International - they arrive at 11:59 and 12:05 respectively. You may be abe to catchone of these and shave a few more minutes off your journey. I will try to find out what platforms the various trains use at New Street and let you know later.

In any case, you have plenty of time - don't worry.

Skyrail leaves frequently and its dead easy to find your way round the airport once you get there. Plus some trains that go to Birmingham international take ****ing ages (well 20 minutes) when theres no need to as they stop at loads of local stations so try and avoid them.

Your train from Leicester usually arrives at New Street, platform 9

Then from New Street:

The 11:50 is a Virgin train for London Euston and normally leaves from platform 2.

The 11:53 is a London Midland train for London Euston and normally leaves from platform 3A

The 12:04 is a Cross Country train for Bournemouth and normally leaves from platform 1A.

As platforms 2 and 3 are opposite sides of the same platform, if you run for the 11:50 and just miss it, you will have no problem catching the 11:53.

All three trains normally arrive at International at platform 4.

HTH

My proposed journey is
Leic - B'ham 10.49-11.43

Get the same train from Leicester, but get off at Coleshill Parkway - arrives at 11:25
There are buses every 15 minutes from Coleshill Parkway to the airport.
The 11:38 bus gets to the airport at 11:56.

Should be quicker and less hassle than having to change trains at New St, and it'll take you straight to terminal 1.

but if you buy a ticket direct to birmingham international it will be quciker then arsing about with a bus ticket?

Do you really think paying a bus driver when you get on a bus is more hassle than having to change trains at New St and getting to the airport 10 minutes later?

I think it may also be possible to buy a train ticket with the bus included, not sure about that though.

Get a coach to London at 4.10am. Get a bus to Oxford, then the coach to Birmingham, then train from New Street. Piece of piss.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm back in UK from my brief visit to Cyprus. The trip and train journey turned out fine. Blue M - thanks for the amusing 'diversion'. I gave it serious consideration but in the end decided to fly to Cyprus via Canada and Australia, so I thought that was enough for diversions.

I was pretty reasurred by NF's emails saying the process was easy. I did take the train I mentioned in my thread to New St with the intention of taking the one I also stated to B'ham Int. Once I was there at New St very helpful staff member told me about the quicker connection from New st - the train going to Euston. He also reasurred me, as NF did, that sky rail was exceptionally quick and regular. One of the replies above pointed the Euston train but I was already off to Leicester station by then so I didn't see that message at the time.

Thanks for all the advice. Looking back, I think this was better than getting off and hopping onto a bus. But that would have been a useful fall back if train had been late and connections missed.

Ta everyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673