Blank Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willlow

Everytime I go to turn my computer on it looks like it is going to start up but then goes to a black screen with a cursor flashing in the top left hand corner. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with it?

Everytime I go to turn my computer on it looks like it is going to start up but then goes to a black screen with a cursor flashing in the top left hand corner. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with it?

It's ****ed

It's ****ed

I did think that, but it does bring up loads of writing about what is loading up, but then instead of going to the picture of Windows loading it just goes to the blank screen.

I did think that, but it does bring up loads of writing about what is loading up, but then instead of going to the picture of Windows loading it just goes to the blank screen.

It's really hard to diagnose without seeing it, does it look normal before it goes blank or are the messages on screen different to what you're used to?
Have you added any new hardware? Did anything at all change before the problem started?
If you press the 'F8' key after you turn it on does it bring anything up on the screen?

Last edited:
Surely if you removed it from the mains and took the battery out it wouldn't work anyway.

I presume that what Motown is saying is that after his forced shut-down, the next time he switched the computer on it went into Safe Mode and he was able to start it properly from there.

There are easier ways of forcing a shutdown and there is no reason to assume that the method would not work in every case of 'black screen'.

I presume that what Motown is saying is that after his forced shut-down, the next time he switched the computer on it went into Safe Mode and he was able to start it properly from there.

There are easier ways of forcing a shutdown and there is no reason to assume that the method would not work in every case of 'black screen'.

Quite true in what you say Boc and I'm not saying it would work for others just that it does work for me and the method is just one that I did the first time and I've just done the same since me not being a techno geek with computers:icon_wink.

There doesn't seem any point in posting advice - he won't be able to see it.

Quite true in what you say Boc and I'm not saying it would work for others just that it does work for me and the method is just one that I did the first time and I've just done the same since me not being a techno geek with computers:icon_wink.

Well, I'm still baffled as to what is being suggested and why. :102:

It's really hard to diagnose without seeing it, does it look normal before it goes blank or are the messages on screen different to what you're used to?
Have you added any new hardware? Did anything at all change before the problem started?
If you press the 'F8' key after you turn it on does it bring anything up on the screen?

Yeah it looks normally before it goes blank, no I havent added any new software, nothing has changed it has just started doing it.

If I press F8 it brings up several set up options but as I know nothing about computers it isnt really that much of a help. I have looked on the set up options for a "start in safe mode" but there isnt an option to do this.

Yeah it looks normally before it goes blank, no I havent added any new software, nothing has changed it has just started doing it.

If I press F8 it brings up several set up options but as I know nothing about computers it isnt really that much of a help. I have looked on the set up options for a "start in safe mode" but there isnt an option to do this.

Well what are the options :icon_bigg

It could be that your PC is either trying to boot from a different device (have you got a CD/DVD in the drive?)

That was my first thought as well, but it would normally come up with a non-system boot disc error if there was

Has your PC been sleeping around?

There doesn't seem any point in posting advice - he won't be able to see it.

I thought he did really well to post the problem in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566