Post Match Bolton 0 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
just back..quick few words then bed btw my comments seem to differ slightly to mates i went to the game with but brief summary : bossed the first half, they got on top first 15 minutes of 2nd but overall we deserved at least a point. imo Knockaert was MOTM, looked really up for the game , constantly demanding the ball (perhaps too deep at times, Keane looked solid/accomplished Drinkwater gave away possession a lot Nugent was mostly isolated,Waghorn tried hard but for me never looked dangerous, Lingard not on long enough to judge. Both keepers did well IMO we didnt look like a team who had just lost 2 games in fact we seemed to play with energy and confidence, 3 points Saturday and were back on track

Knockaert plays well in spells and performs in leaps and bounds. Sometimes he looks masterful and can change the game, whereas in other spells he seems to look cocky and appears to try to impress and focuses very little on the final product. As I've said previously, I can see what the Frenchies meant when they called him stupid. The defence looked shaky, but did their jobs. Morgan was a rock as usual. Keane had a solid debut and I was surprised to see him come off, and Schlupp was excellent at LB. Drinkwater seemed to lose the ball every time he received it. King was good, as was Dyer. Nugent didn't seem to be involved that much, but Waghorn I thought was outstanding. But can he perform like that week in week out? Bolton were well organised, their defence was brilliant I thought, although they were never as good attacking. Overall a good performance, but disappointed not to get the win.

Me on the way to work:

ferris+bueller+ferrari+3.jpg]

I think you ought to tell that lad next to you to put his hands on the steering wheel, he'll cause an accident driving like that

3 main comments...
Both keepers looked unbeatable,
we should have taken our chances in the first half,
and Drinkwater was slightly off his normal standards.

A good point away at a tough Bolton side (who still have a quality team, minus Mills). Kevin Davies was a constant threat, tough debut for Keane man-marking him.

Need to make up the points lost against Watford, and it's these sort of away games that we are going to need to get a result from if we want automatic promotion.

Still, solid performance especially with the defensive difficulties we have faced.

I think I would have taken 5th by November.

Last edited:
Think in retrospective will be a good point from Bolton but another game where we should have been two or three up before half time. Nugent in particular missed a great chance and them we allowed Bolton a great chance before HT nearly throwing it all away.

This was more like Pearson performances of old in the second half. Morgan in particular kept a young defence together, most set pieces he cleared the second ball and kept Davies quiet. Schlupp was impressive at keeping two decent wingers quiet. Keane for me looked incredibly one footed and shaky. Knocky went from clever to idiotic and back to clever. Thought we had scored when King rifled a shot from outside the box and Bogdan made a great save from Knocky late on. Drinky also had a stinker summed up by a last minute free kick going straight out for a goal kick.

Overall, a good performance but we've really got start taking our chances. Waghorn our MOTM! Won lots of physical battles and really need a decent strike partner cos Nugent was invisible.

Last edited:
after a nights kip my attempt to give a more detailed report:

Kasper 8- a few dodgy moments but overall a good display (not as busy as Bogdan tho!)
RDL - 5 - played decent first half, almost a winger at times, hit the bar and should have earned us a penalty (as usual we got a dodgy ref), RDL seemed to tire second half and had a few uncomfortable moments i have a feeling Keane may end up our right back

Wes 9 - solid display personally and marshalled the other members well ie good captain

Keane 6 - looked solid enough not the tallest but accomplished first game and i was a bit surprised he was substituted

Konch 6 - looked uncomfortable early on, imo he has had an indifferent season thus far by his own high standards

Knockaert 8 - i stand by my comments last night that he was at the centre of most of our attacking moments, did provide his usual silly defensive moments but always a threat when on the ball

Drinkwater 6 - provided the intensity/urgency we had lacked in the previous 2 games but all too often gave the ball away

King 7 - good shift, put his foot in when required worked hard, almost scored

Dyer 6 - a few good pacey moments but lacked the quality final ball

Nugent 6 - worked hard as usual but up against 2 solid uncomprimising defenders (in Knight and Mills), he is missing Vardy

Waghorn 6 - worked hard, a few decent shots, got a decent reception from the fans when substituted, but im not a fan of his

subs Moore 6 - slotted in ok defended well when they pressed hard
Schlipp 7 - played well both defensively and pushing forward
Lingard - not on long enough to mark

In summary we were the better team (in local papers stated as "easily the best team to have visited the Reebok this season" I was happy enough with the performance/result im sure they missed NGog more than we missed Zak, Even after some recent indifferent performances im still relatively optomistic we will have a decent season

after a nights kip my attempt to give a more detailed report:

Kasper 8- a few dodgy moments but overall a good display (not as busy as Bogdan tho!)
RDL - 5 - played decent first half, almost a winger at times, hit the bar and should have earned us a penalty (as usual we got a dodgy ref), RDL seemed to tire second half and had a few uncomfortable moments i have a feeling Keane may end up our right back

Wes 9 - solid display personally and marshalled the other members well ie good captain

Keane 6 - looked solid enough not the tallest but accomplished first game and i was a bit surprised he was substituted

Konch 6 - looked uncomfortable early on, imo he has had an indifferent season thus far by his own high standards

Knockaert 8 - i stand by my comments last night that he was at the centre of most of our attacking moments, did provide his usual silly defensive moments but always a threat when on the ball

Drinkwater 6 - provided the intensity/urgency we had lacked in the previous 2 games but all too often gave the ball away

King 7 - good shift, put his foot in when required worked hard, almost scored

Dyer 6 - a few good pacey moments but lacked the quality final ball

Nugent 6 - worked hard as usual but up against 2 solid uncomprimising defenders (in Knight and Mills), he is missing Vardy

Waghorn 6 - worked hard, a few decent shots, got a decent reception from the fans when substituted, but im not a fan of his

subs Moore 6 - slotted in ok defended well when they pressed hard
Schlipp 7 - played well both defensively and pushing forward
Lingard - not on long enough to mark

In summary we were the better team (in local papers stated as "easily the best team to have visited the Reebok this season" I was happy enough with the performance/result im sure they missed NGog more than we missed Zak, Even after some recent indifferent performances im still relatively optomistic we will have a decent season

Thanks for that.

Striker is the missing link, the defence did their job with a clean sheet, we need someone who can get that ball in the net more regularly.

Neither Vardy nor Waghorn is the realistic answer to any team wanting automatic promotion from this league.

Got to get those feelers out for a Premier League forward who is out of favour.

Last edited:
Thought last nights performance summed up the season, inconsistant. First half was like watching the city that played good football in the first 6 - 7 games bossed the game but as usual could not put good chances away. Nugent missing a great chance in the first few mins. First 15 - 20 mins of second half was like watching city of last few games, nervy, panicking at the back when under pressure and constantly giving the ball away.
Thought NP was correct in taking off Keane, young lad was looking very shaky at the back, thought Moore helped defence regain some composure.
Suprised waghorn was subbed as he looked a greater goal threat than Nugent.
Happy with a point following two lacklustre performances. Given me some confidence for saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669