Bone marrow donor registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siouxsie

The 14 year old daughter of a friend has relapsed with leukaemia. Her best chance is with a bone marrow transplant but no match has been found yet.

A recruitment session has been organised at:

The Tigers Ground, Welford Rd
12 - 4pm

Saturday November 12th

This is Bethany's story, taken from her Just Giving page:

I was first diagnosed in the year 2000 with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL). I was three years old and endured two and a half years of chemotherapy. I was off treatment for three years, then relapsed in 2005 at the age of eight. A national and international search for a bone marrow donor began, however we could not find a good enough match, so I started another two and a half years of chemotherapy. I then spent another three years off treatment leading a happy life as a young teenager until a week ago when my consultant rang my parents and told me I had relapsed. The plan is now to stay in hospital for a couple of months, getting me into remission, then move to have a bone marrow transplant in Birmingham. It has been five years since we last looked on the register for me and I am hopeful we will find a potential match, but I know I have to go with the closest one possible. I want people to consider joining the Anthony Nolan Trust register so that lives like mine can be saved.

According to the Antony Nolan website:
"Men aged 18-30 are more likely to be chosen to donate, but they currently account for just 12% of donors on our register. That’s why we need more of them to come forward"

If any of you are under 40, male or female, and would consider going along it would be fantastic.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Bethposter5.pdf
    321.3 KB · Views: 18
The Mrs & I signed up to the register about 2 months ago after a friend of ours sent a similar message. A great cause and I wish your friend the best with her donor drive.

I signed up to the register a few years ago while I was giving blood, it's a great cause.

I joined the Anthony Nolan register 10/12 years ago. There were a couple of occasions when it looked like I might be required to donate, I had to do extra blood tests but in the end I wasn't chosen. A bit disappointing really, the thought of saving someone's life really appealed.

I joined the Anthony Nolan register 10/12 years ago. There were a couple of occasions when it looked like I might be required to donate, I had to do extra blood tests but in the end I wasn't chosen. A bit disappointing really, the thought of saving someone's life really appealed.

yes I'm disappointed that I'm considered too old to be of use

What are the restrictions? I used to regularly give blood but then wasn't allowed because I had a few tattoos and piercings. It annoyed me that I could shaft any diseased slag in a nightclub and give, but if I took it from my life partner Keith I couldn't. Do any such restrictions apply here?

Just a reminder that this event is today. If you could get along, you could feel good about yourself. Maybe enough to offset the despair of watching England play.

Just a reminder that this event is today. If you could get along, you could feel good about yourself. Maybe enough to offset the despair of watching England play.

Great cause but I'm too old sadly.

Are there any more events coming up that I could go to? I had every intention of going today but unfortunately couldn't make it. I'm already a blood donor and I'm giving my next lot of blood on Monday - would it be worth mentioning then?

Are there any more events coming up that I could go to? I had every intention of going today but unfortunately couldn't make it. I'm already a blood donor and I'm giving my next lot of blood on Monday - would it be worth mentioning then?

I signed up a few years ago while I was giving blood so I'd say it would be a good place to ask. If you can't sign up there now I'm sure they'll let you know where you can.

Fecking long queue. Worth it though.

It was nice to see you there. Thanks.

pds - having shattered the Anthony Nolan record for the highest number of people signing up at a session (I think we almost doubled it by the time I left and people were still arriving) we eventually ran out of spit tubes today. The forms were collected and Anthony Nolan will send out the test kits by post to them, so I assume if you register online it is a similar procedure.

having shattered the Anthony Nolan record for the highest number of people signing up at a session (I think we almost doubled it by the time I left and people were still arriving) we eventually ran out of spit tubes today. The forms were collected and Anthony Nolan will send out the test kits by post to them, so I assume if you register online it is a similar procedure.

That's great to hear. I thought the presence at the Leeds game of so many people with leaflets about the registration day was very impressive. Well done Siouxsie and to all those involved :038:

Let's hope there is some good news for your friend's daughter following this.

It was nice to see you there. Thanks.

pds - having shattered the Anthony Nolan record for the highest number of people signing up at a session (I think we almost doubled it by the time I left and people were still arriving) we eventually ran out of spit tubes today. The forms were collected and Anthony Nolan will send out the test kits by post to them, so I assume if you register online it is a similar procedure.

I've registered on the Anthony Nolan website today so presume I will hear something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669