Bring Back John Paintsil

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

One of the most impressive things about the forum recently has been the charity and seasonal goodwill shown toward Jermaine Beckford. I feel the same arguments should be made for John Paintsil.

(1) I accept that Paintsil has played very badly but there is now a precedent for keeping a player in the team however badly he plays.
(2) What does dropping John Paintsil do for his confidence.
(3) What Paintsil needs is a managerial arm around the shoulder.
(4) Other players should have done more to support Paintsil and make up for his shortcomings.
(5) If people look hard enough at Paintsil's performances they will find occasional moments when he was not bad,
(6) I am sure Paintsil will come good in the end.

Finally Fludie began the Doncaster pre-match thread by predicting that Beckford would score a hat-trick. I would suggest that had Paintsil been picked there was as much chance of him scoring a hat-trick as Beckford.

:icon_lol: David, I never thought you had it in you to make such a disparaging and fish-line trolling post. I completely agree with you and have brought it up before when people have defended underperforming players by saying "they'll come good, as they've played in the PL." Yet, I think pretty much everyone would have the raw, lower league player with something to prove: Peltier, in the team over the "proven Premier League" player: Pantsil.

Last edited:
With regards to our strikeforce though, I think it just doesn't work as a partnership, both players are too similar to each other. Nugent looked excellent earlier in the season when he was playing alongside Vassell, but hasn't looked the same player alongside Beckford and Leeds fans always said Beckford was never the same player when Becchio was missing (much like many of our fans said the same thing about Fryatt and Howard in League One).

Although he didn't score many, or win many in the air, I do think we miss Vassell holding the ball up, although he was wasted when played on the wing, whenever played in his correct position up front he always looked a very good player who held the ball up really well and worked his socks off. Given that Beckford and Nugent are already here, I reckon a target man who holds the ball up well is one position which should be a priority in January.

Last edited:
League goals per game with Beckford playing: 1.00
League goals per game with Beckford not iplaying: 2.00

League points per game with Beckford playing: 1.00
League points per game with Beckford not playing: 1.86

Last edited:
That could well be bollocks btw, just something someone just sent me. :icon_lol:

with regards to Beckford, imo he did ok yesterday and again imo when the team formation/balance/personnel is sorted he will shine

with regards to Pantsil his antics pre/post match are amusing/crowd pleasing/passionate but hes going to have a long wait replacing Pelts who imo has been outstanding and a great buy

The difference is you are wanting to bring in a player who hasn't performed to replace one who is, by and large. We have no-one to replace Beckford with.

One of the most impressive things about the forum recently has been the charity and seasonal goodwill shown toward Jermaine Beckford. I feel the same arguments should be made for John Paintsil.

(1) I accept that Paintsil has played very badly but there is now a precedent for keeping a player in the team however badly he plays.
(2) What does dropping John Paintsil do for his confidence.
(3) What Paintsil needs is a managerial arm around the shoulder.
(4) Other players should have done more to support Paintsil and make up for his shortcomings.
(5) If people look hard enough at Paintsil's performances they will find occasional moments when he was not bad,
(6) I am sure Paintsil will come good in the end.

Finally Fludie began the Doncaster pre-match thread by predicting that Beckford would score a hat-trick. I would suggest that had Paintsil been picked there was as much chance of him scoring a hat-trick as Beckford.
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: Quality.

Paintsil - no problem - more or less finished......ship him out and subsidise his wages for a bit.

Beckford - a problem, our new 'Tommy English' or 'Allan Clarke' (in his single season with us).
Get rid and take a big hit or persevere and hope he comes good? I guess he needs it laid on a plate and can't play as a scavanging goal poacher. Given our mid field I'm not sure. NP is well paid to decide.We could do with an Arthur Rowley who could crack them in with or without too much support tho' Derek Hines/ Mal Griffiths were important to his success

Paintsil - no problem - more or less finished......ship him out and subsidise his wages for a bit.

Beckford - a problem, our new 'Tommy English' or 'Allan Clarke' (in his single season with us).
Get rid and take a big hit or persevere and hope he comes good? I guess he needs it laid on a plate and can't play as a scavanging goal poacher. Given our mid field I'm not sure. NP is well paid to decide.We could do with an Arthur Rowley who could crack them in with or without too much support tho' Derek Hines/ Mal Griffiths were important to his success

At the risk of incurring Prof's wrath, you don't score 10 in the Prem without having an eye for goal. The service to him and Nugent has been shit lately and as Prof said the pairing is off. I don't think we need a target man in the mould of Howard to win headers; we need someone like Vassell or Lambert who will control it and has pace and strength. I'm surprised Nugent isn't doing this as I had always pegged him as that sort of player, but then I am shit at Football Manager as well.

Hours of fun can be had shuffling names in the hope that A will do better for us than B currently is. I play it myself, but can't quite persuade myself that Johnson or Danns or Schlupp or St Ledger or Pantsil is the answer. With some regret I've reached a couple of at least provisional conclusions: Wellens is a shadow of last years player, and can't now play in a flat four, and King ditto, though in his case we can hope the loss of form is temporary. Dyer is an impact sub from 7 when (next year surely sanity will prevail?) we can name 7; Gally remains a hugely creative luxury player who'll do what the team needs one game in five; Beckford will come good, but not in all probability this season, and maybe not here. Howard was physically past in when Pearson was last here, and like Dyer, should be at best one of 7 subs. So, playing 442, there's only Nugent of the front 6 that convinces. Which leads to my first conclusion: Sven didn't spend our money that cleverly, and it's beginning to look as though he can be judged quite harshly. Secondly, until we have 3, 4, or 5 different attackers, 442 isn't for us, and we have to go back to 433 or a variation on that. And third, Gelson Fernandes must play in that midfield 3. I know he hasn't convinced on every occasion, and he may not be the answer, but if Gally, King, Wellens & Dyer are the answer, what on earth is the question??
Fernandes must play!

Last edited:
At the risk of incurring Prof's wrath, you don't score 10 in the Prem without having an eye for goal. The service to him and Nugent has been shit lately and as Prof said the pairing is off. I don't think we need a target man in the mould of Howard to win headers; we need someone like Vassell or Lambert who will control it and has pace and strength. I'm surprised Nugent isn't doing this as I had always pegged him as that sort of player, but then I am shit at Football Manager as well.

I think the issue is whether or not Pearson is going to bring in players to bring the best out of Beckford. If so fair enough.If he isn't get rid - the times I've seen him he looks like a fish out of water. I'm sure he's trying but it isn't getting him anywhere. Nugent probably should be rested - but our striker options are so limited etc etc.

Send Paintsil up onto the roof to slap a coat of Dulux on the floodlights. Worked for Frank McLintock.

I think the issue is whether or not Pearson is going to bring in players to bring the best out of Beckford. If so fair enough.If he isn't get rid - the times I've seen him he looks like a fish out of water. I'm sure he's trying but it isn't getting him anywhere. Nugent probably should be rested - but our striker options are so limited etc etc.

No the issue is whether or not Pearson is going to bring in players to bring the best out of Paintsil.

The times I've seen Paintsil he looks like a fish out of water. I'm sure he's trying but it isn't getting him anywhere.

David Nugent has scored 7 goals in 19 appearances while Jermaine Beckford has scored 2 goals in 16appearances. Clearly one of Nigel's aims should be to bring in a new player to partner Beckford.

Of course basing our transfer window activity on helping Beckford does nothing to help John Paintsil. I believe we should have a new goalkeeper - one who is quiet and tolerant.. Kasper shouts when defenders make mistakes and this has meant John Paintsil getting an unfair share of criticism.

No the issue is whether or not Pearson is going to bring in players to bring the best out of Paintsil.

The times I've seen Paintsil he looks like a fish out of water. I'm sure he's trying but it isn't getting him anywhere.

David Nugent has scored 7 goals in 19 appearances while Jermaine Beckford has scored 2 goals in 16appearances. Clearly one of Nigel's aims should be to bring in a new player to partner Beckford.

Of course basing our transfer window activity on helping Beckford does nothing to help John Paintsil. I believe we should have a new goalkeeper - one who is quiet and tolerant.. Kasper shouts when defenders make mistakes and this has meant John Paintsil getting an unfair share of criticism.

I've always looked to you for a straight down the line gravitas sermon. Why is this Swift type irony now occuring. I do the sarcasm and these is no need for you to catch the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669