British Gas - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

indierich06

Basically, I was living in rented accommodation about 18 months ago and moved out. Last week I get a call from British Gas telling them that I owe them about £900 for gas and electric during that period.

I haven't got a copy of my tenancy agreement - it got thrown away as I assumed I'd have no need for it after moving out. Now they're saying if I can't provide this then I've got to stump up! They've offered me 35% off, but this is just grossly unjust as far as I can see.

In the mean time, whoever's living there now has been enjoying free gas and electricity for the past 18 months!

Do I have a leg to stand on? Anyone know much about this kind of thing?

I'm off down to the citizen's advice bureau later on to try and sort it out, in the mean time any help would be much appreciated!

Just ignore them. Use a different supplier in future. If you failed to give your final readings when you moved out then that's a bit silly really. I think they'll estimate what the bill would have been when you moved out (if you can prove that's when you moved out) and make you pay that.

Last edited:
Basically, I was living in rented accommodation about 18 months ago and moved out. Last week I get a call from British Gas telling them that I owe them about £900 for gas and electric during that period.

I haven't got a copy of my tenancy agreement - it got thrown away as I assumed I'd have no need for it after moving out. Now they're saying if I can't provide this then I've got to stump up! They've offered me 35% off, but this is just grossly unjust as far as I can see.

In the mean time, whoever's living there now has been enjoying free gas and electricity for the past 18 months!

I'm off down to the citizen's advice bureau later on to try and sort it out, in the mean time any help would be much appreciated!

Did you let the company know you were moving out? :102:

I was a little naive back then - my landlord told me not to worry about it and he would just tell the next tenants to add their names to the bill - something they never did. Now I can't get hold of the new tenants or the landlord and I'm stuck with the bill.

I was a little naive back then - my landlord told me not to worry about it and he would just tell the next tenants to add their names to the bill - something they never did. Now I can't get hold of the new tenants or the landlord and I'm stuck with the bill.

I would pass the buck back to the landlord via British Gas. :icon_wink

Just ignore them. Use a different supplier in future.

Do not just ignore it, that's a ridiculous suggestion. Ignore it and you'll only end up with a County court judgement against you.

If you failed to give your final readings when you moved out then that's a bit silly really.

It's more than a 'bit silly' it's the reason he now faces the bill that he does.
It was his responsibility to take a final reading, inform them he was no longer living there and to make arrangements to pay the final bill.

I think they'll estimate what the bill would have been when you moved out (if you can prove that's when you moved out) and make you pay that.

There's no reason for them to do anything for him. His name is on the account, he owes the money. Simple as that.
Any kind of goodwill gesture from them would be a blessing.

I work for British Gas Business, but i know quite a few people on the residential side. If you dont get any luck sorting it out pm me and ill assist you in getting the matter sorted.

Dont pay anything that you dont owe but you really should let people know when moving out!

I work for British Gas Business, but i know quite a few people on the residential side. If you dont get any luck sorting it out pm me and ill assist you in getting the matter sorted.

Dont pay anything that you dont owe but you really should let people know when moving out!

We're just about to sue BGB for failing to release us from their services and lying about contract lengths.

Possibly the worst services company I have had the displeasure with dealing with.

We're just about to sue BGB for failing to release us from their services and lying about contract lengths.

Possibly the worst services company I have had the displeasure with dealing with.

Oh I dunno, I had a 2 year stint with EDF with a crossed meter problem and was threatened with a CCJ for a bill for a different flat to mine, they would rival BG easily I think

Oh I dunno, I had a 2 year stint with EDF with a crossed meter problem and was threatened with a CCJ for a bill for a different flat to mine, they would rival BG easily I think

I dont think they would try to mug the Major off.:icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47