Broadband Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
I have had BT's 'up to 8mb' broadband for ages and have up until recently been getting around a 6mb connection. However its got visibly slower recently and is now down to 3mb. Whats anyone else getting??

Any ideas on why mine has dropped??

Anyone who wants to check theres can do so here - http://www.speedtest.net/

4920kbps

BT 8Meg - Wireless through 3 walls from my router.

I have had BT's 'up to 8mb' broadband for ages and have up until recently been getting around a 6mb connection. However its got visibly slower recently and is now down to 3mb. Whats anyone else getting??

Any ideas on why mine has dropped??

Anyone who wants to check theres can do so here - http://www.speedtest.net/

The speed that you are getting is based on a profile of your phone line that updates automatically at the exchange and is basically the fastest speed that your line can maintain without your router or modem going out of sync.

Things that will affect it will be bad joints, corroding cables, extension cables, self-installed phone points, fax machines, answering machines, dodgy filters, cheap phones etc, etc.

The best thing you can do is unplug everything that you can from your phone line and make sure that you connect your router to your master phone socket.
When you've unplugged everything, It'll help if you unplug your router for half an hour then reconnect it on its own as this will force your profile to update at the exchange.

The speed that you are getting is based on a profile of your phone line that updates automatically at the exchange and is basically the fastest speed that your line can maintain without your router or modem going out of sync.

Things that will affect it will be bad joints, corroding cables, extension cables, self-installed phone points, fax machines, answering machines, dodgy filters, cheap phones etc, etc.

The best thing you can do is unplug everything that you can from your phone line and make sure that you connect your router to your master phone socket.
When you've unplugged everything, It'll help if you unplug your router for half an hour then reconnect it on its own as this will force your profile to update at the exchange.

My router is the only thing plugged in to my phone line and runs from the master socket :023: Will try the disconnect though!

BTW, those speed tests are very unreliable & only give you a rough transfer rate, NOT your sync rate. You need to check your router config for the actual sync rate.

The router concurs with the speed test - broadly.

My router is the only thing plugged in to my phone line and runs from the master socket :023: Will try the disconnect though!

Don't expect an instant cure, I may have misled you a bit there after rereading.

Put simply, when you reconnect your router it will be logged by the exchange equipment and a reading of your line will be taken. If everything on your line is okay, you will have to maintain that for 3 days straight before your profile is updated & your speeds, hopefully, improve.

11,636 kbps downstream
648 kbps upstream here

router says it's connected at:
14,119 kbps downstream
764 kbps upstream

so not too bad.

On Sky £10 a month jobbie for 16mbs

11,636 kbps downstream
648 kbps upstream here

router says it's connected at:
14,119 kbps downstream
764 kbps upstream

so not too bad.

On Sky £10 a month jobbie for 16mbs

I am a sum total of 10 miles from Isleworth, I have HD and multiroom, but can I get your deal? Oh no. Feckers...

Mine has slowed down from 54Mbps to 36 this morning

I'm only 3 miles from Isleworth.

Which is irrelevent as i'm with BT

Last edited:
Mine has slowed down from 54Mbps to 36 this morning

I'm only 3 miles from Isleworth.

Which is irrelevent as i'm with BT

F*ck me that's fast! :icon_eek: Are you serious OG?

Quite possibly. I haven't the faintest idea what I'm talking about to be honest. Just thought I'd cause some excitement.

Quite possibly. I haven't the faintest idea what I'm talking about to be honest. Just thought I'd cause some excitement.

You've just made me do what Fludie does a lot of!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669