Burnley match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back. Still wet!

Don't think there could be any complaints about it being abandoned, the pitch was awful and the rain was getting worse.

Yorkshire Vixen said:
drummindefender said:
highland fox said:
How pissed off would you be if you've travelled up there with a Monster hangover only to see it abandoned.
happened to me 2 years ago against reading-i was pissed off big time

Yeah I was there it was nice and sunny at half time and the ref said the managers wanted it called off, they got their commupence (sp?!) and we trounced em 3-0 or 3-1, lets hope history repeats itself.
The ref said the managers agreed to the abandonment of the Reading game, but they didn't, both managers wanted the game to continue - http://www.ananova.com/sport/story/sm_735120.html

Strange isnt it, the 21st century and football clubs still havent got the facilities to ensure matches can be played to a finish whatever the weather. You would possibly expect this from a League 1 or League 2 side but all championship sides should be able to combat this with the technology thats around now.

Even at Filbert Street we had that blow up tent thing that protected the pitch from the snow and ice.

If it was a game between a club from the south coast against a club from up north would the club be prepared to refund petrol or train expenses

chrislcfc18 said:
Strange isnt it, the 21st century and football clubs still havent got the facilities to ensure matches can be played to a finish whatever the weather. You would possibly expect this from a League 1 or League 2 side but all championship sides should be able to combat this with the technology thats around now.

Even at Filbert Street we had that blow up tent thing that protected the pitch from the snow and ice.

The tent used at Filbert Street in the 70s and 80s didn't prevent matches being abandoned because of a waterlogged pitch (remember Steve Lynex doing the breast stroke on MOTD?).

I think sometimes the rain is so bad it doesn't matter how good the drainage is. It doesn't happen very often it's just unfortunate it's happened to us twice in the last two years. The Reading abandonment was the first one we'd had for a long time.

Technology has progressed a hell of a lot since the 70's/80's. In the early to mid nineties we developed a tent that produced heat to protect the pitch from snow and ice and also prevented rain going on the pitch. The players could even train underneath it.

From what i remember the club did this because they had 2 or 3 matches postponed over the previous years xmas/new year period and it caused a bit a congestion is the fixtures.

chrislcfc18 said:
Technology has progressed a hell of a lot since the 70's/80's. In the early to mid nineties we developed a tent that produced heat to protect the pitch from snow and ice and also prevented rain going on the pitch. The players could even train underneath it.

From what i remember the club did this because they had 2 or 3 matches postponed over the previous years xmas/new year period and it caused a bit a congestion is the fixtures.

The 70s tent allowed the players to train on the pitch, but they didn't do it very often because it was very claustrophobic.
When it reached the end of its life it wasn't replaced by another tent, the pitch covering used was more like a carpet, they certainly couldn't train under it!

I'd imagine with the score being 0-0 it made the Officials decision a lot easier,If either team had been 1 or 2 goals up then maybe there would of been more of an out cry.Least we should be 'fresher' than QPR come Monday,hopefully CL will stick to the same formation 5-3-2 was it?

hmmm i will have to check through my old programmes on this then cause i am almost certain they used a heated tent. I also remember them using the carpet style covering as you say but it wasnt very successful in stopping the pitch from becoming frozen so the club had to come up with an alternative.

The only reason i question what you say is because i didnt watch City in the 70's/80's because i was too young and only started going at the start of the 90's

chrislcfc18 said:
hmmm i will have to check through my old programmes on this then cause i am almost certain they used a heated tent. I also remember them using the carpet style covering as you say but it wasnt very successful in stopping the pitch from becoming frozen so the club had to come up with an alternative.

The only reason i question what you say is because i didnt watch City in the 70's/80's because i was too young and only started going at the start of the 90's

They may have still been using the old tent in the early nineties, but it would have been nearing the end of its life.

Im pretty sure I saw that tent being used when the Arsenal match was called off, this was sometime in the 90's but I was bit to young to rember which year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669