Burnley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickovforengland!

Been on the road for a couple of days but thought I would share my opinions for what they are worth.

There were two main problems for me in Tuesday's performance. Kisnorbo and DeVries. We were getting the ball in the box but DeVries had a bad game by his standards and I think he is just too slow to play up front for us. I'd like to see Hammond and Hume play a game together, they both cause problems.

Kisnorbo didn't look anything like the player he was on Saturday and left a gaping hole in the centre of the park but I can understand why he was chosen. It wouldn't take much of an improvement to have turned that performance into a win. We had more possession and created more chances, delivered some decent balls from wide positions.

People talk about a lack of passion, I disagree. The players I watch run their knackers off and generally try and get the ball back if they lose it. I don't think we are far off a decent side. We need a target man and someone to play as a holding midfielder.

If we start improving after Christmas that'll do for me. I think someone posted not too long ago saying all the recently promoted sides have had managers who have been at the helm for a number of years. CL has had this group of players for a relatively short amount of time, it is sickening when we play well on Saturday and rubbish on Tuesday but after the dust settles chill lets try and keep things in perspective.

Dickovforengland! said:
Been on the road for a couple of days but thought I would share my opinions for what they are worth.

There were two main problems for me in Tuesday's performance. Kisnorbo and DeVries. We were getting the ball in the box but DeVries had a bad game by his standards and I think he is just too slow to play up front for us. I'd like to see Hammond and Hume play a game together, they both cause problems.

Kisnorbo didn't look anything like the player he was on Saturday and left a gaping hole in the centre of the park but I can understand why he was chosen. It wouldn't take much of an improvement to have turned that performance into a win. We had more possession and created more chances, delivered some decent balls from wide positions.

People talk about a lack of passion, I disagree. The players I watch run their knackers off and generally try and get the ball back if they lose it. I don't think we are far off a decent side. We need a target man and someone to play as a holding midfielder.

If we start improving after Christmas that'll do for me. I think someone posted not too long ago saying all the recently promoted sides have had managers who have been at the helm for a number of years. CL has had this group of players for a relatively short amount of time, it is sickening when we play well on Saturday and rubbish on Tuesday but after the dust settles chill lets try and keep things in perspective.

I thought MDV had a solid game and didnt do much wrong, amazes me why he gets stick. Kisnorbo did go missing 2nd half as did Momo and Hughes. I thought Hammel looked the most attacking player and he got taken off! :confused:

Dickovforengland! said:

At last :038:.
The fallout from administration still looms large over our club, something that seems to have been forgotten in these difficult days.

Dickovforengland! said:
... it is sickening when we play well on Saturday and rubbish on Tuesday

Perhaps it's nothing to do with days of the week. Perhaps the problem would be clearer if you had written, "it is sickening when we play away and rubbish at home"

If we were to think about that, we might find more of the answers.

Willlow said:
I thought MDV had a solid game and didnt do much wrong, amazes me why he gets stick. Kisnorbo did go missing 2nd half as did Momo and Hughes. I thought Hammel looked the most attacking player and he got taken off! :confused:

I thought MDV was miles away from Elvis, and could have been clean through a couple of times if he had moderate pace. I'd definitely want to see Elvis and Hume start.

Hear what you're saying as well Boc, it makes me feel embarassed to hear the boos at city but people have a right to air their frustration at a lacklustre performance.

I don't think we are far away from being a decent side. Take Everton, fourth last year and struggling big time this year. It doesn't take much to turn 1-0 wins to 1-0 defeats or vice versa.

We haven't been outplayed by anyone in any of the matches I have seen and have played some good stuff. We have a good squad and just need one or two more players. Given time I am sure Levein will come up with the goods.

Dickovforengland! said:
Hear what you're saying as well Boc, it makes me feel embarassed to hear the boos at city but people have a right to air their frustration at a lacklustre performance.

I didn't mention the booing. The booing has nothing at all to do with my point.

We just don't play as well at home as we do away - FACT.

Dickovforengland! said:
I thought MDV was miles away from Elvis, and could have been clean through a couple of times if he had moderate pace. I'd definitely want to see Elvis and Hume start.

Hammond is fecking terrible and was our worst player on tues, how people think he's better than MDV is beyond me, he's constantly on his heels, allows defenders to get in front of him, runs into dead ends, doesn't time those crap runs either, can't finish and can't do much else.

Dunc said:
Hammond is fecking terrible and was our worst player on tues, how people think he's better than MDV is beyond me, he's constantly on his heels, allows defenders to get in front of him, runs into dead ends, doesn't time those crap runs either, can't finish and can't do much else.

I think Hume should start in place of Hammond.Despite all his running etc Hammond just isn't a Goalscorer.Hume is a proven scorer maybe not proven in this League yet but in a lower League,he must start.

Dunc said:

He gets past players and can get out of tight situations, he does lose the ball but no more than MdV who had a bad game. His heading is awful. Hume has got more chance of picking up the scraps from Hammond than MdV who does have some qualities but is just too slow to play up front. He makes Teddy Sherringham look like Thierry Henry. Hopefully it was just a bad day at the office for them, they were far too far away from each other.

bocadillo said:
I didn't mention the booing. The booing has nothing at all to do with my point.

We just don't play as well at home as we do away - FACT.

I think its related to your point, the negative vibes don't help. Its been covered to death but away from home if we keep the ball and knock it round the park away the fans don't have a problem, if we do it at home we start giving the team pressure to knock it long or try something when nothing is on.

To be honest IMO I dont actually think the fans have been too bad, in the main it hasnt been that negative, occasional moans and groans and the obvious boos at the end of a poor result and performance, but I think the crowd in general have been fairly paitent considering some of the dross that has been served up especially in the last few home games.

Now I will admit the place has lacked atmosphere, but I think that is a fairly generic problem right the way through the championship, most home fans are in general quieter and tend too be a little more fickle due to expectations being increased due to it being a home match, fans expect a positive attacking performance, where as in the main the away fans expect a backs to the wall type performance and therefore there tends to be a "siege mentality" adopted. Our home fans and the atmosphere they generate, compared with the majority of sides in the championship is not a lot different.

IMO the problems lie within the squad not being mentally tough enough to compete in this division, we appear to have too many players who show a laid back attitude, we lack character and passion, there doesnt appear to be enough leaders within the side, players prepared to take responsibility and take the game by the scruff of the neck and makes things happen. That is the difference, and that is why this home and away form talk is pure bollox, saturday was our first away win in the league for 10 months, so it cant be that the players are more relaxed when playing away from the fickle boneheads.

The problems lie with the playing staff and the management, and they need to address it, blaming it on the crowd is IMO clutching at straws.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
The problems lie with the playing staff and the management, and they need to address it, blaming it on the crowd is IMO clutching at straws.

Agreed. ;)

PFKAKTF FOX said:
IMO the problems lie within the squad not being mentally tough enough to compete in this division, we appear to have too many players who show a laid back attitude, we lack character and passion, there doesnt appear to be enough leaders within the side, players prepared to take responsibility and take the game by the scruff of the neck and makes things happen.

Good point but when Tiatto plays a player with passion,character,a leader everybody moans and slates him.I know he's not all that but at least he plays with a bit fight,wears his heart on his sleeve etc.Alan Maybury should definately play IMO,he hasn't become a bad player overnight.

highland fox said:
Good point but when Tiatto plays a player with passion,character,a leader everybody moans and slates him.

No. We moan and slate him when he acts like a twat and picks up (yet another) unnecessary booking.

The problem with Tiatto is whilst he gives 110% effort and commitment, he doesnt play with a responsiblity to the team, he plays as an individual, he makes rash tackles, gives away needless and unnecessary free kicks in dangerous positions, he puts the team under increased pressure.

Showing passion and commitment doesnt necessarily mean running around the pitch kicking anything that moves like a raving lunatic, it means playing with responsibility, inspiring and helping the players around you, maintaining your individual discipline and maintaining the teams balance and game plan by playing to your specific role. That is what this present team lacks IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669