Buying a new HD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willlow

I am looking at buying a new HD TV, but apart from knowing that I want a 42 inch one I am lost on everything else.

From what I can understand LED TVs are more expensive than Plasma and LCD but LED is better quality?

What does it mean when a TV is HD ready? How do you make it HD?

Will my current 'bog standard' freeview recorder work with a HD TV or will I need to buy a new HD freeview recorder to replace my current freeview recorder?

When a TV says that it already has HD freeview installed does this mean just the channels or will it have the ability to record programmes as well?

Any help/tips or links to helpful sites are much appreciated.

LED TVs use less energy and are thinner / lighter than their LCD counterparts. I'm not entirely sure on the difference in quality.

You need a HD source, whether this be a Blu Ray player, Sky HD or Freeview HD box.

A TV with Freeview HD installed means that you will be able to watch the current HD channels on Freeview, I think there's currently BBC & ITV, you will also get the other Freeview channels in Standard Definition. You won't be able to record using this function.

I recently purchased a 32" Samsung LED Smart TV and I'm well happy with it. The Smart TV function means you can access certain things on the internet, such as iPlayer.

I am looking at buying a new HD TV, but apart from knowing that I want a 42 inch one I am lost on everything else.

From what I can understand LED TVs are more expensive than Plasma and LCD but LED is better quality?

What does it mean when a TV is HD ready? How do you make it HD?

Will my current 'bog standard' freeview recorder work with a HD TV or will I need to buy a new HD freeview recorder to replace my current freeview recorder?

When a TV says that it already has HD freeview installed does this mean just the channels or will it have the ability to record programmes as well?

Any help/tips or links to helpful sites are much appreciated.

Stick with a Samsung LED and you will be delighted. Your Freeview recorder may work, depends what connections it has. I wouldn't recommend using any converters to bodge it together with the new TV or results will be disappointing. Buy a Freeview HD recorder as well. Some Samsung TVs will have the ability to record to a memory stick but again this isn't ideal.

Theres also Google TV's on the way (ie Android OS on the TV) launching soon. May be worth waiting for.

If you watch sport or play fast moving games, then a decent Plasma (Panasonic) is well worth it. LED looks great but is not as smooth as a Plasma. Blacks are also better on a Plasma. Get a smart one for the internet.

LED TVs tend to have even more appauling sound quality than an LCD due to how thin they are though this is not an issue if you will be connecting to seperate speakers. Picture quality does appear to be better as even SD material looks like HD on the 'rents LG though this could be more down to the actual model as opposed to the difference in technology.

Best thing to do would be to go to a shop so you can see what impresses you and then buy it online as it is usually cheaper though Richer Sounds stores can be competitive too and very good value if you want an extended warranty. M&S online include a 5yr warranty for free on all large (32" + i think it is) TVs and have some great deals if you catch them at the right time, they have deals of the day and TVs tend to come up on Fridays but worth checking daily. John Lewis also highly regarded for buying TVs though never used them myself and have read they have changed their price match guarantee and no longer offer extended warranties for the same price but might be worth checking out.

Regarding your questions:

HD ready usually means the max resolution for the set is 1280x720 (720p) whereas a full HD set will display 1920x1080 (1080p or FullHD). Full HD is obviously better quality and I would imagine most sets produced now will be full HD - definitely worth getting a full HD set if looking at 42" though.

Freeview recorder will work but it will only be able to record SD freeview through the current box and not from the TV.

Freeview HD just means it can receive those channels (BBC1 HD, ITV1 HD, 4HD & BBC HD) though a lot of current TVs do have the ability to record to an external hard drive via USB. Using this method you will only be able to record the channel you are watching and only one thing at a time which is worth thinking about if you are used to be able to record two things at one.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/ - worth looking at once you've narrowed your selection down to a few.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/ - worth looking at once you know what you want or if your not too fussed about a particular model and just looking for a good deal. Also tends to have links to reviews of any sets featured but always general discussion.

Last edited:
if you are watching in a shop, make sure you ask to watch a standard definition signal, as many have great HD at the expense of shit SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669