bygone leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

After being asked recently about what i considered to be the most memorable games i have seen city involved in, i came up with the following : 1982 fa cup quarter final city 5 shrewsbury 2 (for those that witnessed it the game had everything). 1991 city 1 oxford 0 the game where tony james saved us from the drop to the old 3rd division.A real emotional match. 1997 city 1 m'boro 0 the incredible night at hillsboro when claridge became a leicester legend. 2000 city 2 tranmere1. After over 100 years of our great club we win at the old wembley in its final year. Would be interested to see what games the forum consider to have gone down in leicester folklore

for me i dont think i will ever beat the play off final against the sheep,sheer delight, didnt come down for a month !!! :lol:

The 4-3 against Watford at Filbo, we lost but it was amazing...5-0 Cambridge...the Joachim goal at Barnsley...beating Manure in the cup...3-3 Arsenal...the Lineker goals at White Hart Lane, although we lost 3-2, the 3-2 win at White Hart Lane when Muzzy and Lennon ruled the place, the 4-0 trouncing of Dennis Wise's Millwall.....oh, i'm going on now...

Brauny Blue said:
After being asked recently about what i considered to be the most memorable games i have seen city involved in, i came up with the following : 1982 fa cup quarter final city 5 shrewsbury 2 (for those that witnessed it the game had everything). 1991 city 1 oxford 0 the game where tony james saved us from the drop to the old 3rd division.A real emotional match. 1997 city 1 m'boro 0 the incredible night at hillsboro when claridge became a leicester legend. 2000 city 2 tranmere1. After over 100 years of our great club we win at the old wembley in its final year. Would be interested to see what games the forum consider to have gone down in leicester folklore

I reckon my favourite game of all time was the 4-3 win against Leeds in the late eighties.

2-0 down at half time and Pleaty brought on Paul Ramsey for the second half. My mate said to me 'Oh Yeah, Rambo - He's gonna change the game isn't he?'

Rambo promptly scored 2 goals, before city again fell behind. However goals from Steve Moran and the legendary Gary Mac in the closing minutes capped a fantastic fight back and a brilliant win.

There have been a number of others, 2-0 against league leaders Norwich, 1-1 against Forest when Piercey got sent off for killing Paul Reid, Cambridge 5-0 + all the finals and semi finals.

Love it !!!!!

Brauny Blue said:
After being asked recently about what i considered to be the most memorable games i have seen city involved in, i came up with the following : 1982 fa cup quarter final city 5 shrewsbury 2 (for those that witnessed it the game had everything). 1991 city 1 oxford 0 the game where tony james saved us from the drop to the old 3rd division.A real emotional match.

Have to agree those 2 are probably the ones that stick in my mind... and then there's that 5-0 win over Cambridge in the playoffs when we partied for virtually the whole game (was Dublin playing for them then?)

Was it a 4-3 win over Leeds when they were 2-0 up we got it back to 2-2 they got a penalty and Strachan took a cheeky one before the ref had blown his whistle and it stood... Think Gary Mac got the winner and we went CRAZY!

alex said:
The 4-3 against Watford at Filbo, we lost but it was amazing...5-0 Cambridge...the Joachim goal at Barnsley...beating Manure in the cup...3-3 Arsenal...the Lineker goals at White Hart Lane, although we lost 3-2, the 3-2 win at White Hart Lane when Muzzy and Lennon ruled the place, the 4-0 trouncing of Dennis Wise's Millwall.....oh, i'm going on now...

Wasn't it 4-1? I seem to remember Claridge scoring in the first minute to absolute silence.

for me, Leicester Vs Crystal Palace play off final, Leicester Vs Sunderland when collymore got his hattrick, away to red star belgrade, home to madrid, away at pompy the season before last, away at blackburn when we lost 5-3 being 5-0 down at half time then pulling it back, the last game at filbo. coca-cola semi final at wimbeldon, i could go on!

When we beat Arsenal in the FA Cup on penalties - Peggy saved 'em all!

watching big ian marshall against fulham in the cup score an acrobatic goal against, never thought he could move like that!

Joe_Fox said:
alex said:

Wasn't it 4-1? I seem to remember Claridge scoring in the first minute to absolute silence.

Right as usual JF

bluefox said:
Joe_Fox said:
alex said:

Right as usual JF

full respect to claridge though didn't celebrate either after he scored. i feel if he had scored a consolation at the end to make it 4-1 the fans might have cheered for him!

Joe_Fox said:
alex said:

Absolutely correct - :oops: I was of course referring to when Millwall got a thumping at Filbo, 4-0, when a certain Keller played in goal for them 'gippo...gippo' he had long hair then!!!

For me, my greatest game was the 5-0 victory against Cambridge in the 1992 Play Offs. Other highlights - getting soaked at Meadow Lane in the ZDS cup (an experience repeated again at Fratton Park two years ago - only even wetter), 4-0 against Derby at Pride Park, Stevie Thompson's equaliser at Wembley. Tommy Wright's winner against Forest - the best moment at the new ground so far...

stripeyfox said:
For me, my greatest game was the 5-0 victory against Cambridge in the 1992 Play Offs. Other highlights - getting soaked at Meadow Lane in the ZDS cup (an experience repeated again at Fratton Park two years ago - only even wetter), 4-0 against Derby at Pride Park, Stevie Thompson's equaliser at Wembley. Tommy Wright's winner against Forest - the best moment at the new ground so far...

I was at Meadow Lane for that!!! We took over the place !!!! Brilliant night that...

Brauny Blue,
I am old enough, indeed was there at the Shrewsbury game in 82, We had 3 different goalkeepers (in the days before substitute keepers). Certainly a game I will never forget.
I live close to one of the Shrewsbury players on duty that day (Dave Tonge) and I remind him every time I see him!.... Happy days

1974 FA cup City 1 Spurs 0 3rd round
Steve Earle 89 th Min
Standing in Pen 3 crowd surge forward and I end up on the floor, with people falling on top of me. Cracking moment but nearly sh*t myself!

Kettering Pete said:
Steve Earle 89 th Min
Standing in Pen 3 crowd surge forward and I end up on the floor, with people falling on top of me. Cracking moment but nearly sh*t myself!

i was in pen three at the time mate :wink:

lazzer said:
Kettering Pete said:
Steve Earle 89 th Min

i was in pen three at the time mate :wink:

I think this was the game that kicked off early due to the 3 day week and power cuts. If so then i sat on the hardboard that covered the 'tent' as there was too many people in the Popular stand. Had to leg it preety quickly afterwards to catch the bus to blaby because they were finishing early.

best home game- probs arsenal 3-3 with walshie scoring late on-****ing great
best away game- liverpool 0-1 leicester impey's "pass" finding marshall he slotted it home in front of the kop
best wembley- crystal palace/ derby both where great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566