Cached pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
Have you made any changes Jeff?

recently I am getting a cached version of the forum virtually everytime I visit and Im having to ctrl-F5 a lot! This is on 2 different laptops so I dont think its anything I have changed.

I haven't changed anything - it could be your ISP cacheing the pages.

Ok cheers. It does it from work and from home though :confused:

Ive noticed similar behaviour from another forum I visit a bit that just upgraded to the same software as here but Im guessing that wouldnt effect it?

how would you know if you are looking @ a cached one or not?:102:

If it looks out of date that would be a clue. If you then press ctrl-F5 and the page changes, that's another clue.

There are browser settings you can change to stop your broswer cacheing pages, but it's not so easy to stop your ISP doing it. In generally ISPs cache pages because it can make the pages appear quicker, and for many sites that don't change very often it's a good idea. Not so good though for sites such as forums that are changing all the time.

how would you know if you are looking @ a cached one or not?:102:

it just happened again to me, telling me I had an unread post in this forum (orange indicator) and you were the last poster at 16:14. I knew this was old info as Id read your post already. The page was an old one that had been 'remembered' rather than the lastest page.

it just happened again to me, telling me I had an unread post in this forum (orange indicator) and you were the last poster at 16:14. I knew this was old info as Id read your post already. The page was an old one that had been 'remembered' rather than the lastest page.

Was it a forum where a thread had been moved?

If that's a case I don't think it's a cacheing problem, it's the forum not updating properly when a thread has been moved.

If that's a case I don't think it's a cacheing problem, it's the forum not updating properly when a thread has been moved.

Just to clarify, I recently moved the Smiley thread out of the support forum. But if you hadn't read the latest post on that thread, it may have still told you there was an unread post in the support forum, even though the unread post was no longer there.

No it wasn't Jeff. Its happening virtually everytime I visit the site, including when I click a link within the forum to return to the main list

Just to clarify, I recently moved the Smiley thread out of the support forum. But if you hadn't read the latest post on that thread, it may have still told you there was an unread post in the support forum, even though the unread post was no longer there.

I have noticed that happen though.

my pc at work is fine but on the one at home i have to refresh EVERY time
this is not a new problem though always done it :102:

I'm relieved to find I'm not the only one experiencing this - not every time, but quite frequently. Thought it was the dementia kicking in.

I am at breaking point with it, the last few weeks its virtuslly every time I want to view something

I am at breaking point with it, the last few weeks its virtuslly every time I want to view something

Although the site physically changed location last week, none of the settings have changed, so that shouldn't have affected it.

I can only assume that the ISPs people are using have been doing more cacheing than in the past.

I haven't experienced the problem at all, and I think the fact that some people are having problems and others aren't suggests it is related to ISPs or browser settings, and is nothing to do with the site itself.
I can change some of the forum settings which may prevent ISPs from cacheing the pages, but this could also impact on the performance of the site, increasing load on the server, so I'm a bit reluctant to try it.
I think I'll try it now as a trial, but change the settings back if it causes more problems than it solves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566